Ultimate Subaru Message Board

single port vs dual port ea82

I was looking at one of those "quality japanese engine" web sites and they showed two versions of the EA82, a one port job (for 1985-94 gl, dl, brat, xt coupe using carb or single port FI) and a two port job (for 1985-94 xt coupe, loyale). There was a seperate listing for the EA82T.

What i'm wondering is, how can I tell which I have in my '88 gl? does anyone know what model year a switchover was made? Any differences in hp? Any preference? I don't know much about the difference and am curious to learn a bit about it.

Thanks!

Is there two inlet runners going from your inlet manifold to each head or is their only 1? Also the top of the inlet manifold should say MPFI if it's the dual port design.

That had me all confused and doing a search. I wasn't thinking intake ports, I was thinking exhaust ports like on the ej22 phase 1 and phase 2

All EAs have single port exhausts.

If your car has a carb or SPFI on it, it will have single port intakes

If you car has MPFI or MPFI TURBO, it will have dual port intakes. If it has MPFI, it will be obvious, there will be four injectors, one in each of the intake runners.

Johnson']However' date=' all ea82 blocks will work with the two different heads. It just changes the compression a little.[/quote']

Changes the compression alot. Run a turbo block and pistons without a turbo and you might make 60 hp. Suckage

Run Non-turbo block and pistons and you have a recipe for trouble, too high a compression ratio to be Turbo(debated). But what is not debateable is that the Non Turbo pistons are way wimpier than the turbos. Check out the "splitting headache" thread in the retrofitting forum. Gravityman has been so kind as to butcher his head and pistons to give us a look inside.

There we're a few non-turbo engines with the dual port heads and MPFI. they were in the non turbo XT's. If you really want a dual port without a turbo, that's were to start.

Listings from parts stores are frequently wrong as far as what goes in what. But I can assure you, you're 88 GL, unless it is turbo, is a single port. Hopefully SPFI. I think the best setup available from a reliability standpoint as far as EA82s go.

The non-turbo GL-10s also had MPFI, however I heard that it was only in 85 they came this way, and I have yet to find a non-turbo EA82 GL-10 (I used to have an 83 GL-10 that wasn't turbo...)

I saw an 85 in the junkyard. GL-10, sunroof, digidash, Trip computer, and the works. I'm thinkin "sweet, Turbo parts!" open the hood and what is there but a hitachi carb. there should be a smiley for WAA, WAAA, WAAAAAA.....:mad:

As far as I know the MPFI non turbo(na) motor was only in XT's in the states. It may have been an option on GL-10's but I can't find any proof of this. It does mention the NA MPFI in the 86 FSM. But in that year XT's are covered toghether with GL/DLs. in fact if you look at the back of an 86 XT, it will say GL or GL-10 on one side, and XT on the other. Later XTs are just XT or XT6

Kinda like the early Nissan Altima. In order to not have to pay taxes on a seperate or new model, they just called it a new version of an old model, then totally dropped the old name after a few years.

MPFI was an option on GL-10s. I think one of the board members here even has one (Daeron maybe?). In 85, there was no SPFI model, instead they had an MPFI model. I've seen an 86 MPFI in the junkyard before, however, after 86 I think they did away with the MPFI non-Turbo except for the XT. (I don't have my 88 FSM, so I can't check).

So if someone wanted some more power from there NA EA82 they could do a head swap to dual port heads and a MPFI setup? Reliable because your not running a turbo. :brow:

I said that, too.. but its not much more breathing power, and you are still stuck with the same flow design within the heads themselves...

to REALLY get any more power out of an EA-82, its gonna take some serious grinding and changing the cylinder head, and I am not entirely certain its even possible. I didn't remove my valves when I had my heads off for the gasket job, so I don't even KNOW if there is meat to be ground away; but the engine just was not made to breathe, it was made to get good fuel mileage, reliable low end torque, and be an econobox.... improvements can be made, but don't expect much. A nissan SR-20, this is not.