Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Guard your Brats!!

Since I'm slightly superstitious and I believe things happen in threes--this is a warning:dead: Last Wednesday, my Brat was rear-ended while waiting for a traffic light to change. Luckily, minimal damage, but still damaged. Tonight 84Soob was coming to our house to pick up his seats and was cut off by an Expedition:madder: trying to pass on the right. Unfortunately, the wheel hub was broken at the steering knuckle and we're currently waiting for AAA to tow his car home. So park your Brats for a while until the Trio Curse is abated.

Well, if none of us drive our brats, then there will be no third person. Meaning, the 1st person to drive their brat will be that 3rd person.

Somebody better become the 3rd person soon, cause I have to drive home from work in 2 hours.... and the way ppl drive here in Cali I think my chances are good that I might become the 3rd :(

-Brian

Hey Ed This is Jerry, the third already happen. Remember mine was the first one to get rear ended. On another note my lifted hatch is just about done. I am tring to get the exhaust done on friday so i can drive it. And yes i have 2 hatch backs. The second one i traded for 4 jack man wheels. Its a red 86 and it will be my highway car with 3.70 gears in it. BTW i am still looking for a new light blue 86 brat. Thanks Jerry

Second tow truck guy finally showed up. Cool guy--he knew what a Brat was. Says he just bought a yellow '84 wagon with a turbo. He needs someone to replace the headgaskets and is looking for help. His name is Ron and number is 206-423-9241. He wants to fix it up so "he can go out in the woods and play." He does have a real turbo since it's also an automatic tranny. His other comment is "If you ever need a tow, call me, I'll go anywhere. I even towed a guy home from California."

The Expedition sheared the knuckle right below where the strut bolts in, the tire hold air and the strut looks straight, I can't tell if anything else is bent underneath. At some point I'll need a fender and maybe a door. There was a Bothell officer there in minutes after it happened, neither me or the Expedition driver saw his accident report though. I don't know how hard it will be to prove he jumped the gun getting into the right turn lane he was already beside me when I moved over. He was moving pretty good to biff my wheel/fender like that though. The tow truck guy was very cool, he has a lifted '84 turbo wagon he wants too wheel, the mudders he has on stick 4" past the fenders. Has a blown headgasket or cracked head though, is new to Soobs was a Chevy guy. He didn't know about the board and was tickled that other people thought that Soobies were unique just like he did. Thanks Ed for donating your Sun evening to getting the Brat home, you are just like my Dad, patient and understanding.--Brian

His turbo wagon is lifted? Awsome. We need to get his rig fixed up so he can come out and play. You did give him the board's address right?

Hey Brian - Thanks for the clutch! You gave it to Ken, and said to keep it in case anyone needs one..... well I did, and we put it in last Monday morning after my clutch failed in a water trap at reiters. I hope I can return the favor sometime. :drunk: You really saved my bacon being thoughful and thinking ahead like that.

I brought spare axles and stuff with me.... never thought I would need a clutch tho! (Well - I knew it was weak cause it was a 2WD, but I didn't know it would clog with dirt like that).

GD

Good thing my brat didnt get hit, I was driving it this morning (so the battery would stay healthy somewhat illegally) (not registered in my name yet and still not insured) I only take it on short neighborhood trips now though (yes I know accidents are more likely close to home. Try driving in Sellwood and Milwaukee and then tell me that though :madder: )

THIS WEEKEND I DROVE TO MY SISTERS HOUSE IN KENNIWICK. I LIVE IN MT VERNON SO ITS JUST SHY OF 300 MILES THERE, ANY WAYS I GET A WILD HAIR TO TAKE MY 82 BRAT FOR THE LONG HAUL FOR SOME BETTER GAS MILAGE. EVERY THING WAS GOING GOOD TILL I GOT TO WAPITO. THEN MY WHEELBARINGS GO OUT I THOUGHT ALL HELL HAD BROKE LOOSE, DO REMEMBER I'M ON MY WAY THERE. WELL ANYWAYS WE MAKE IT AND TAKE IT TO LES SCHAWB, BAD IDEA, $751.29 THAT WAS FOR BERING AND CV AXLES. I TOLD THEM TO LEAVE IT ALONE I'LL PICK IT UP IN A BIT.

SO MY BUDDY BRAD AND I TOOK AND JUS T TIGHTENED UP THE CASTEL NUT ONE NOCH. THAT WORKED GOOD TILL WE GO TO EASTON. THEN THAT SAME SOUND CAME BACK, OH YEAH AND IT WAS SNOWING LIKE IT HAD NEVER SNOWED BEFORE. FROM THERE WE DROVE IT STRAIGHT TO TODDS HOUSE IN MT.VERNON AND TORQUED THE NUT TO 145LBS. SOUND WAS GONE I STILL DROVE IT TO WORK THIS MORNING, ON THE SAME TANK OF GAS FROM YAKIMA. THE FORD SURE WOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT.:D

Well Matt, the local LS diagnosed my rear vibration in my Suburban as a pair of bent wheels. I was about due for tires so I went ahead and got wheels and tires(My 4th set in a year from them for different vehicles). Wheels and tires look great and the vibration still exsists.

So go figure where Ed's comments come from :brolleye: :temper:

Yay i did not know ls did that kind of thing either but alass....

The original owner of suby 2 had ls replace a bad front axle.The "mechanic couldn't get the spring pin out of the axle.He bunged it up so bad that he tried to grind it out.I still have not figured out how I am going to get this axle free of the tranny.Like it is dificult,especialy for a so called mechanic.

Originally posted by SuBaRallyVovo

Ya once this new guy, (Not me) his name was John.... Anway, we had to change 4 tires on a 2001 vw cabby, and he opened the door while it was on the lift and it bent the frame! He got fired that day. So if u complain, u can usually get someone in trouble or fired.

Ahhhh one reason why I really dont like convertibles, no structural ridgidity :D

Personally I dont see why he got fired for opening the door. Any normal car it would be ok to open the door, VW shoulda made the frame stronger and not relied so strongly on the doors :-p

Hey One Eye This is Jerry, next time you travle to your sisters house and you have a problem in the Yakima area let me know maybe i can help you. I live in Selah and Wapato isn't that far for me. Hey Subaru Junkie i am looking for a light blue show room comd. 86 brat color # 567. I have the money in the bank and i am willing to wate until that special brat comes along. Thanks Jerry

I picked up a steering hub/knuckle from Austin tonight, he has more Soobie parts in his garage than most ordinary Subaru fanatics, he saved me a trip to the Pull-a-Part. Thank you, thank you Austin. I hope to have the Brat driveable by Fri. if it goes well.

Hey General Disorder, I'm glad you could use the clutch, it was only 2 yrs old and maybe 15K miles on it when I switched over to the 5-sp. it should last you a while.

I'll try to get some digi. pics tomorrow and post them of the damage.--Brian