Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newb with 99 vs 00 outback question...

Hi folks,

I'm new here and found ya'll while researching Outbacks. I'm considering two locally for sale right now...

First is a 2000 with 101,000K asking $8,995 but it's been listed for a while so would probably go cheaper.

Second is a 1999 with 89,000k asking $8,300 and is newly out by the roadside with a sign on it.

Both are automatics (which I like because I end up talking on the phone I hate to admit) but the '99 is a limited and has leather seats (which I like because I have a hairy dog). Otherwise they're similar both being in very good condition and with similar features. (the '99 is Burgundy...not my fav color)

So is there much of a difference in the '99 vs '00 or should I be looking for even newer? I havent' been able to find posts that specifically compare these two years.

Thanks for the help,

John

John, We had a '95 Legacy (same basic body series as the '99) and a '00 Legacy, the '00 was light years ahead in interior comfort and road manners (to me at least). We would be driving the '000 for another 100,000 miles, but a;as a Jeep Cherokee recently killed it ... and damnear my wife too!). We now have an '06 which is another quantum leap above the '00.

The one thing the '06 has is heated seats, even in Montana they are only on for about five minutes before you have to turn them off ... so i guess it's all about how important short-time butt comfort is worth to you. :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard.

My '99 Outback also has heated seats - I think it's part of the cold weather package.

Biggest difference between '99 and '00, in my mind, is that the '99 has the DOHC engine, and the '00 has the SOHC engine. Choosing one over the other is a question of whether you prefer an internal ('99) or external ('00) head gasket leak. Leaky head gaskets are very common on both engines (do a google search on "subaru head gasket"). If one of the cars has already had the head gaskets replaced with the latest Subaru part, that one has an advantage.

I prefer the looks of the '99 Outback over the '00.

My '99 Outback also has heated seats - I think it's part of the cold weather package.

Biggest difference between '99 and '00, in my mind, is that the '99 has the DOHC engine, and the '00 has the SOHC engine. Choosing one over the other is a question of whether you prefer an internal ('99) or external ('00) head gasket leak. Leaky head gaskets are very common on both engines (do a google search on "subaru head gasket"). If one of the cars has already had the head gaskets replaced with the latest Subaru part, that one has an advantage.

I prefer the looks of the '99 Outback over the '00.

hehe either way the head gaslet has to be replaced.

nipper

Nipper, the link was a help, thanks. One change I don't follow is the "increased power" in the 2000 4cly vs the 99 4cly. That site and others both say 165hp for both models. Is there a noticeable difference in the models' power?

Olnick, Wintergreen. :-) That color's OK but the beige cloth seats will clash with my hairy black dog...

MtSmiths, Thanks for the opinion of someone who's owned both (sort of). I'm gathering the '00 has a better feel to it overall. As for the heated seats, here in Charleston, SC they don't count for much....

Ron917 and Nipper, I've read some about the head gasket problem and that I do pay attention to! How common is the problem? More so with either year? Internal leak vs external leak? Sounds like the external leak would be easier to see if I have a mechanic check out the vehicle, yes? Is either year easier to fix?

Thanks for the help! These are the experienced answers/opinions I was hoping to get. I'll ask if either car has had the head gaskets replaced.

John

well the 2000 has 4ft more of torque.

The HG issue really depends upon how you like your arsnec. The internally blown HG will tell you really fast its blown. the external leak may take a while to notice. SOHC engines leak externally.

One of the quirks of subarus is when they leak, they dont necassarily leak on the ground. Fluid lands on the exhaust pipes and gets burned up.

Hg issue, figure about 15% of 1996-1999 2.5L engines have internal issues. I dont have a figure (nor has anyone made an educated guess) of the 1999-2003, but i think its the same number.

nipper

My 97 OBW had 168 00 kms on it with never a head gasket leak, but the 02 OBW I bought after it developed minor external leaks on both heads at about 23 000 km. You could smell the sweet odour of coolant when you parked the car after a run. Dealership replaced the headgaskets under warranty and I sold the car with 128 000 kms with no further problems. No doubt in my mind that the 02 was a far better handling and comfortable car than the 97. Then again the 07 OBW I now have is light years ahead of the 02.

Most people here think the 00 is better than the 99 for engines, they are slightly easier to work on, but over the life of the car, each type will probably have only one head gasket replacement, assuming it's done correctly. They all need at least one timing belt in the life of the car, and it will be due sooon on the 00, both years get it done at 105,000 miles. The automatic transmissions in Subarus are more reliable than most, but I have personally seen and there is more talk here of problems specifically with 00 model year automatics. I like the 99 exterior and the 00 interior better, and have a 99 myself which has been wonderful. It's close to a toss up, all things considered, and would fall to price vs. condition

I haven't yet gotten any answers about either car's head gaskets and the timing belt info is useful.

Somewhere I read about interference vs non-interference engines ('99 vs '00) so that's another consideration.

If I can I'll look for a newer model I can afford. Are there any post '00 years to avoid? Local dealer has used subarus listed at what seems to me very high prices and there just aren't that many being sold around here by individuals. I'm not desperate (just impatient) so I can wait a while longer.

Thanks,

John

I haven't yet gotten any answers about either car's head gaskets and the timing belt info is useful.

Somewhere I read about interference vs non-interference engines ('99 vs '00) so that's another consideration.

If I can I'll look for a newer model I can afford. Are there any post '00 years to avoid? Local dealer has used subarus listed at what seems to me very high prices and there just aren't that many being sold around here by individuals. I'm not desperate (just impatient) so I can wait a while longer.

Thanks,

John

Our '00 was at 188,000 when it got clobbered. We had just (three days before) gotten it back from Subaru having done T-belt # 2 early because it was on sale ... damn! We had no known HG issues, and had done the TSB fix (gunk). We never had a problem with the car, except an odd, hard to find intermittant miss, which turned out to be a mass air flow sensor that wasn't throwing a code. Oh, and course the permanent CEL (black tape). It was a great car, and we fully intended to drive it to thte end of the decade ... and maybe beyond.