Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 Tribeca Transmission Cooler, who has installed?

I just installed a hitch to our Tribeca. I would like to install a transmission cooler to increase the towing capacity. Has anybody ever installed one and how diffiucult was it? Will a universal cooler fit? Where are the bosses on the transmission for the cooler lines? Does it need its own fan?

Thanks,

Mark

06 Tribeca 7 Passenger

69 Subaru 360 Sambar Van x2

78 Westfalia, EA-81 engine, EA-82 manifold, Weber, Auto

78 FJ40

Did some research and find the part number for the subaru cooler. I then found the Subaru specific cooler instructions from Subaru I am attching them to this post. No fan is needed. I will try and go with a generic aftermarket one. Here is the Link attaching didn't seem to work.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/downloads/D551SXA000139155.pdf?doc_id=139155

Mark

06 Tribeca 7 Passenger

69 Subaru 360 Sambar Van x2

78 Westfalia, EA-81 engine, EA-82 manifold, Weber, Auto

78 FJ40

Wow that's an impressive piece of kit, saw the pdf.

Is something this nice available for the 2006 Impreza?

Is a thermostat internal? Can you turn it off in the winter?

Of course I am asking this question without doing a real search, BUT. I'm sure the knowledge would be appreciated by all!:headbang:

Hm that is a nice looking ATF cooler kit. I didn't know such an OEM kit was available. Installation looks pretty straightforward. That's one neat thing about Subaru's plain 'ol hose and barb connections - they're easy to work with without the special tools needed on so many other manuf's proprietary connectors.

Some aftermarket coolers come with a fan, such as permacool, but I don't know if those would fit in between the condensor and bumper. The fan just increases the cooling capacity, mainly at low speeds or standstill.

subaruplatt, the cooler does not appear to have a thermostat, unless I missed something. To 'turn it off' in the winter, on mine I put a piece of reflectix insulation in front of it to block airflow.