Ultimate Subaru Message Board

100 amp alternator Upgrade?

What is the process for upgradeing my alternator, I know its a GM ONE WIRE ALT.

All I know is I can't run my lights heat and wipers without it droping to 11.5v

so what do I have to do?

BTW, I Tried to search.. didn't find much.

go to a junkyard.

Find an 86-89 maxima.

Remove the alternator, and cut the plug that goes into the back.

THIS is the tricky part, you have to find a way to get a pulley on there that will take a V-belt like the soob has, and you have to get a pulley that will be lined up with the location of the pulley on the stock alt. Simple answer is to go to a local auto electric shop and see if they can help; alternately, bring a pipe wrench out to a junkyard, make sure you show them you maxima alternator, and start pulling alternators apart on cars until you can find a pulley and spacer (or a one piece assembly) and then put it on your maxima alt. Try test fitting it in a soob in the boneyard, if at all possible.

MY maxima alternator, I had to slip the belt onto before threading both bolts.. but it fit fine and tightened up no problem. Splice the maxima plug onto your wiring harness any way you choose, but the best route is to replace the entire old charging wire (the thick wire in the plug that goes up to the fusible link block)

The Maxima Alternator in question is a 90 amp, not 100... but who's counting? its ALOT more than 60, which is what your stocker runs...

There are options, but the simplest one is either this, or the XT6 alternator.. and the XT6 alt needs a new pulley, too, AND is more difficult to find in a boneyard.

Search my name and maxima for more detailed information.

okay okay okay okay.... an externally regulated alt is a different story....

I DO know one thing: you can go to autozone and pickup a remanufactured alternator for a 1975 or 76 datsun 280Z, the guy should ask you if you want a 50 or a 60 amp, and you can get the 60 amp and bolt that sucker straight in.

Okay, I am taking a guess at the alternator currently in your car.. does it look like an EA82 alt?

this is your alternator?

AL232X.JPG

If so, the Datsun alt is externally regulated, 60 amps, and bolts right in. I dont know if the regulator would work with the different alt or not.

I can;t help you when it comes to removing the voltage regulator.. i could do it on a Z car, but not on a soob. sorry. Doesn't the USRM have anything about it?

Converting over to an internally regulated type alternator is pretty much a breeze for subarus. Here is a link for the conversion: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47847&highlight=alternator

And that should work with not only any internally regulated subaru alternator, but if you change out connectors any 2 wire alternator out there.

hope that helps

-Mike

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On a side note. I been considering going to the auto zone and have them give me and XT6 alternator and give them the one off my hatchback and upgrading that way. Told my dad it would be a good Christmas present, is there a threat of me burning up my wiring harness with that much more amps?

On a side note. I been considering going to the auto zone and have them give me and XT6 alternator and give them the one off my hatchback and upgrading that way. Told my dad it would be a good Christmas present, is there a threat of me burning up my wiring harness with that much more amps?

That's a huge waste of money as the XT6 alt is only 90 amp, and is VERY expensive. A Nissan Maxima alt is the same casing (IE: bolt in), same power rating, and cheap.

GD

Yah, like GD said, Nissan maximas, some as early as 86, all by 88 or 89 had 90 amp internally regulated units. Different plug, so I recommend grabbing one from a junkyard, and bring along a pipe wrench and some tools to do some pulley swapping with... or take the maxima alternator to a good auto electrical shop, if you know of one.

The plug is easy to switch, theres two wires in the T plug for the soobie (hitachi) alternator and theres two wires in the squarish plug of the maxima (hitachi) alternator. Connect the fat one to the fat one, and the skinny one to the skinny one.

When you install the alt, you may have to slip the belt on before inserting EITHER of the two mounting bolts.

The above holds true for a FI ea82 with factory installed inboard AC compressor, and outboard alternator location. Nothing else is promised.

IIRC, I looked up an 89 maxima on thepartsbin.com, and the last alternator listed for that vehicle was a "Generic hitachi 90 amp replacement" that, in the picture, had a v belt pulley on it already. I don't know if this is what comes on it.. but the junkyard is really the cheapest and best way to go.

Yah, like GD said, Nissan maximas, some as early as 86, all by 88 or 89 had 90 amp internally regulated units. Different plug, so I recommend grabbing one from a junkyard, and bring along a pipe wrench and some tools to do some pulley swapping with... or take the maxima alternator to a good auto electrical shop, if you know of one.

The plug is easy to switch, theres two wires in the T plug for the soobie (hitachi) alternator and theres two wires in the squarish plug of the maxima (hitachi) alternator. Connect the fat one to the fat one, and the skinny one to the skinny one.

When you install the alt, you may have to slip the belt on before inserting EITHER of the two mounting bolts.

The above holds true for a FI ea82 with factory installed inboard AC compressor, and outboard alternator location. Nothing else is promised.

IIRC, I looked up an 89 maxima on thepartsbin.com, and the last alternator listed for that vehicle was a "Generic hitachi 90 amp replacement" that, in the picture, had a v belt pulley on it already. I don't know if this is what comes on it.. but the junkyard is really the cheapest and best way to go.

The dude that rebuilt the alternators on my brat, hatchback, and legacy all screwed them up. I was lucky to get 10K miles out of each. Not going back to him. Ive had great luck with this reman one I bought from autozone for like $60 when I spent $55 getting the other one rebuilt. Not doing that again.

This is the pulley that came on my reman one from autozone. Is it the type of pulley you guys speak of?

101_0002.jpg

that may indeed work, I can't recall right now, but the shaft size may be different, the spacer size needed might be different.. its really the sort of situation where you almost need a stash of parts to make sure you get the right one.. or you could get lucky. You kinda need to dig in and find out, but the pulley is the ONLY difficult part.

One difference is that the maxima alternator has an internal fan, and has a case thats all perforated like an XT6 unit has. The original EA82 alt has a solid case with an external fan blade.

If you can remove the fan blade from that pulley, and the shaft diameter and spacing is right, then you are in business.