Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Jeez... might need to keep my 78 Brat now.... (pics added)

I finally put the tailgate on, and decided to test fit the "Brat Lid". Man it looks great!!!

Mine is black, on a silverish Brat... it's also missing the center louver, but still looks okay without it (probably removed for vision purposes, as they have a lip on 'em and would block quite a bit....

it also needs some touchup, and a good going over, but very servicable yet....

I'll try to get some pics Monday...

this is what the brochure shows for it :)

bratlid.jpg

must've been about a year and a half ago, on eBay. I did see the remnants of one in a junkyard on a totalled Brat. I salvaged the 2 same louvers that I already have... so I could take the longer bottom spare louver and cut it down to fit in the middle position...

gonna have to show it to the wife first, then bring up the "i might want to keep it" topic later after I see what her reaction is :)

there is a piano hinge where the 2 pieces meet, and it has a piece of plastic over the hinge to keep it covered... that plastic piece on mine is cracked and split open, so it really needs to be taken apart and have a new plastic piece put in... needs a new paint job, and a little fiberglass fixing (very minor)

YES!!!! You must keep it. Ive been driving my 82 brat while my 80 is in the shop. Well its done and Ill be getting it on Wed. I like my 82 but there somthing about a gen 1 brat. It just looks classic even though its part primer and bondo in spots and needs a new paint job. I cant wait to drive mine again. SOOOO, KEEP IT, KEEP IT, KEEP IT!!!! Just love them Gen 1sssssssssssss.....:brow: It looks fabulous.:wave:

last night I actually attached it in all the right location to the 78, including the lift support arms.

opens and closes nicely. if I raise it up a bit to get it started, it raises the rest of the way by itself slowly...

just need to get a new lock for it now....