Ultimate Subaru Message Board

odometer not working after conversion

Hi Guys,

Any Ideas? My 94 import Legacy TS Type R, is now on the road and running beautifully!!!

One requirement for passing import test was to have the Speedo converted to read in MPH. The reading on the odometer when I got it was only 38000 Km. ( approx 24,000 miles).

After the conversion, it , not surprisingly was still reading 38000.

On the way to work today , which is the second day I have used the car on the road, I noticed that the odometer was not clocking distance travelled !?

I was wondering if this is a mechanical device, cable or something, or if it is electronic? The guys who set up the car to British spec for me, are in Japan buying more cars, so I cant ask them about it.

I am not too bothered about the actual reading starting off higher in "miles" than it should , as I intend to have the car a long long time ,but I think the law requires the clock to be recording miles travelled???. does anyone know if the speed reading and the milometer are two separate devices?

Is the 94 you have the older body style, or the newer bodystyle

older body style

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/images/subaru/jimturbo1.jpg

newer body style

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/images/subaru/brandonausrs.jpg

The older body style has a mechanical cable driven from tranny to combination meter.

The newer one is probably electronic the whole way.

Hi Josh,

Its hard to say, mine is an estate wagon type, with a very individual look about it. No photo yet to show you. I have been tryin to find out what the TS type R badge means, and it seemingly stands for Touring Sports ( with sports suspension I believe.) if you know any source of history of Legacy models, I would love to know as I still cant find out much about this one.

thanks for replyin

John