Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lowering an ea81

I know the basic principal. I just don't get how to do the torsion bar adjustment in the back. The bolt adjustment is as low as it will go.

I read in an old thread or two about removing the ends from the tube and repositioning them. But without taking a look and risking breaking something, how does it come apart?

Anybody have any pics of taking the tube apart, or pictures of some lowered?

I would be more interested in fitting a non-torsion bar setup in if I were you. But I guess if it can be set at the right hight and you like the spring rate then it should be alright.

I've pulled a torsion bar out of my brumby before. Not too pull it apart, but to get that adjuster bolt working again. Wasn't hard at all and I didn't even use the manual.

After reading my manual just now it doesn't say whats holding the trailing link to the torsion bar, by the look of it you just have to unbolt the trailing link for the trailing arm and then it pulls out the whole torsion bar. Then you just need to put it back in on a notch clockwise, I tihnk.

I would be more interested in fitting a non-torsion bar setup in if I were you. But I guess if it can be set at the right hight and you like the spring rate then it should be alright.

I've pulled a torsion bar out of my brumby before. Not too pull it apart, but to get that adjuster bolt working again. Wasn't hard at all and I didn't even use the manual.

After reading my manual just now it doesn't say whats holding the trailing link to the torsion bar, by the look of it you just have to unbolt the trailing link for the trailing arm and then it pulls out the whole torsion bar. Then you just need to put it back in on a notch clockwise, I tihnk.

I've thought about the spring rate as well, since some said it was too soft a ride. I'm considering ea82 rear struts w/ wrx coilover kit(or something similar) to give some more adjustability.

I'll have to take a look at it tommorow after work. Its late on this side o' the world, :grin:

I know on the gen 1's, there is a bolt on either side of the torsion bar tube that you remove, then pound the torsion bar out from the inside while the car is on stands, then using a jack, position the tire at the desired height (as far as 2 notches on the torsion bar, 3, etc.), pound them back in, reinstall the bolt and put it on the ground. Thats how I lowered the back of my Gen 1 Brat.

I know on the gen 1's, there is a bolt on either side of the torsion bar tube that you remove, then pound the torsion bar out from the inside while the car is on stands, then using a jack, position the tire at the desired height (as far as 2 notches on the torsion bar, 3, etc.), pound them back in, reinstall the bolt and put it on the ground. Thats how I lowered the back of my Gen 1 Brat.

I was hoping you would chime in. I knew you'd done it from looking up old posts. But the old pic links are long since dead.

I do remember seeing a single 12mm bolt on each side of the tube now that I think about it...:drunk:

One of those no brainers by the sounds of it. give us pictures once you got that back down..

Well I've got the front lowered already:grin:

The back is sittin slightly low as it is, new shocks that still have the wire bindings on them

2007_03240003.jpg

2007_03240002.jpg

2007_03240005.jpg

2007_03240004.jpg

Try and overlook the busted foglight. The last time the brat was driven was on my parent's land, it kinda got wedged, and the clutch when to nothing getting it unstuck.

yeah all you gotta do is unbolt the 3 17mm's on the trailing arm and the 12mm that is underneath the tube near the end

then just tap the trailing arm out with a hammer

clean up the splines a bit and spray on some wd40 or anything like that to make things much easier

then just position the trailking arm at the height you would like and slide it back in

chuck the 3 17mm's back in and the 12mm at the bottom and youre done

and you have gotta do it oin both sides ;)

i have done this before on a wagon... not really the best solution:confused:

if you go as low as it looks like your front is, then you will basically be riding on the bumpstops in the rear

you can get some extra suspension travel by removiong the bumpstops (they are meant to screw out, but ive never been able to)

a setup similar to the rear of the l series would be the go, stiffen the rear up and have short stroke shocks and you should be laughing

not to hijack but how do you lower the front of an EA81? I would really love to lower mine but mines 2wd. Would that pose a problem?

Asking for more info isn't a hijack in my book:)

For right now, I'm using a cut a set of 2wd springs/struts. I cut about 1 3/4 coils out of each, or was it 2 3/4 coils... I'll look tomorrow. I'm going to be purchasing a coilover kit in the future(five lug swap +xt6 struts, or if this rides like poo, and it probably will)

I removed the springs, and marked them both at the same time so they'd be even. And used my angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, and wear eye goggles or something, as the disc will begin to disintegrate and throw stuff at you.

If you want some pics of the front I can pull it apart this weekend to illustrate.

oh ok the oldschool technique of cutting springs. Thanks for the reply but im worried about the ride quality with that. This is my daily driver and i dont want to jump onto a sidwalk or something if i hit a bump

I've had a little experiance with cut springs before. And its not really that bad, people who say it handles like crap probably didn't do it right( heating too much or baking the springs will kill off any spring rate they have)

My last integra w/ cut stock springs handled just as well as my integra before that with aftermarket skunk2 springs.

Low-rider guys have been doing it for years.

oh ok the oldschool technique of cutting springs. Thanks for the reply but im worried about the ride quality with that. This is my daily driver and i dont want to jump onto a sidwalk or something if i hit a bump

get a set of 4wd springs and cut those. I believe those are a bit stiffer then the 2wd so if you cut them, the ride quality will be about the same.

So some old posts eh? Check out my '78 Brat back when I lived in Oregon!

Before when I first got it...

1302440400067339125S425x425Q85.jpg

After and adding the EA82 steels with some nice 185/70R13 tires...

1302440514067339125S425x425Q85.jpg

The last pic is after I removed the bumpers, added on a throaty souding exhaust and before I removed the mudflaps. In this car, there was no such thing as ride quality. I removed the front springs and bumpstops from the front end so it was tucking the 13"s and in the rear, I cranked the torsion bars all the way down and cut half the rear bumpstops off. Handled like it was on rails but was a real bumpy ride. For some reason though, since it had a blown front axle and I rolled around in RWD, the rear diff would posi everytime I would light up the back end. Made it an awesome drift/burnout machine!

that is one sick looking brat my friend:headbang:

Thank you. I've got some pretty good plans for it coming. Its in mid stages of ej swapage right now. And I spent the majority of my budget for finishing it on the down payment for the wifes car, but at least its a subie too:banana:

get a set of 4wd springs and cut those. I believe those are a bit stiffer then the 2wd so if you cut them, the ride quality will be about the same.

So some old posts eh? Check out my '78 Brat back when I lived in Oregon!

Before when I first got it...

1302440400067339125S425x425Q85.jpg

After and adding the EA82 steels with some nice 185/70R13 tires...

1302440514067339125S425x425Q85.jpg

The last pic is after I removed the bumpers, added on a throaty souding exhaust and before I removed the mudflaps. In this car, there was no such thing as ride quality. I removed the front springs and bumpstops from the front end so it was tucking the 13"s and in the rear, I cranked the torsion bars all the way down and cut half the rear bumpstops off. Handled like it was on rails but was a real bumpy ride. For some reason though, since it had a blown front axle and I rolled around in RWD, the rear diff would posi everytime I would light up the back end. Made it an awesome drift/burnout machine!

Awesome man, I was hoping you'd still have pics of that one since the old photo albums were gone:headbang: .

I've got my stock springs too, I just wanted to get an idea of how much to cut using the 2wd's from the parts hatch.

I wanna put the 4wd's on before it goes to the road since they have the height adjusters as well.

Oh and speaking of mud flaps...

2007_03240006.jpg

Disregard the rusty rockers. i'm back east:mad:

Awesome man, I was hoping you'd still have pics of that one since the old photo albums were gone:headbang: .

I've got my stock springs too, I just wanted to get an idea of how much to cut using the 2wd's from the parts hatch.

I wanna put the 4wd's on before it goes to the road since they have the height adjusters as well.

Oh and speaking of mud flaps...

2007_03240006.jpg

Disregard the rusty rockers. i'm back east:mad:

HAHA thats all thats holding the rocker together!:lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist. If you wanna see all the pics I have of my Brat, here's the link... http://rides.webshots.com/album/302432023YUcDSD

Its currently undergoing major body restoration down to mediablasting, fixing the rot in the core support from the battery, shaved everything but doorhandles, rear slider, EA81 with s/r 4-speed and tons of other stuff.

Rust is an all too common thing here. Thats why I'm going to weld in stainless wherever it needs it.... I mean, I'm going to make a new brat out of stainless.....

It has literally ben years since I've seen a gen 1 anything on the road within a 3 hour radious of here.

Edit... Be a real lower rider guy and shave the door handles too!!!

Rust is an all too common thing here. Thats why I'm going to weld in stainless wherever it needs it.... I mean, I'm going to make a new brat out of stainless.....

It has literally ben years since I've seen a gen 1 anything on the road within a 3 hour radious of here.

Edit... Be a real lower rider guy and shave the door handles too!!!

Usually gen 1s around Wyoming are pretty rusted. However, sicne I am from the PNW which is where I got my Brat, its clean compared to a few cars I see around here. It even sat in a junkyard for 15 years!

I think its time for you to move to Subaruland. Its actually more of a region located in the north western portion of our beloved country:-p

This was sent to me a while back, so I don't have any more info. Enjoy:

Lowered Hatch

r/ PK

I'm in love....

Usually gen 1s around Wyoming are pretty rusted. However, sicne I am from the PNW which is where I got my Brat, its clean compared to a few cars I see around here. It even sat in a junkyard for 15 years!

I think its time for you to move to Subaruland. Its actually more of a region located in the north western portion of our beloved country:-p

I wouldn't mind a change of scenery. But the family would be missed too much.

Maybe a trip out west with some cash and a gooseneck trailor from work...

Hmmm how many subes will fit on a 26 footer???? Now that is the question.

I've had a little experiance with cut springs before. And its not really that bad, people who say it handles like crap probably didn't do it right( heating too much or baking the springs will kill off any spring rate they have)

My last integra w/ cut stock springs handled just as well as my integra before that with aftermarket skunk2 springs.

Low-rider guys have been doing it for years.

Oh ok cool. I might end up doing this sometime if i can find someone who has done it before to do it for me. I dont have the tools to cut springs myself. Your brats got a cool stance to it now. And btw i got rust problems in connecticut too :(. I need to get my sedan fixed again as its rusting faster than i can fix it.

Oh ok cool. I might end up doing this sometime if i can find someone who has done it before to do it for me. I dont have the tools to cut springs myself. Your brats got a cool stance to it now. And btw i got rust problems in connecticut too :(. I need to get my sedan fixed again as its rusting faster than i can fix it.

Since I'm gonna cut some 4wd springs in the near future...

If you want these I'll send them your way

Are they 2wd springs or 4wd ones? Thanks for the offer. I may just take you up on it

These are the 2wd's on it right now. I will be making a j/y run friday or saturday weather permitting. If they Have some decent xt6 stuff I'll be getting it anyways, and won't need my 4wd ones. I could mod and send them.