Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

thinking of repainting my wagon + photoshop =

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

I've always been thinking of repainting my wagon...but could decide on a color. was originally detracted from the blue, black, and silver because those seem to be the overwhelmingly popular subaru colors. When I go to MNSubaru meets, it seems that all the cars there are one of those 3 colors....and then a red one will show up and everyone starts drooling over it....

but then I realized, since this is a completely different body style, it wouldn't be quite so cliche. AND, by going with the trademark subaru blue and gold, it would be more recognizable as a subaru.

sooo.....I took the wagon to a car wash, and then to my favorite photoshoot spot, and took some pictures. found a good picture of some sweet gold Rotas, the RX decal from Mick's decal site, and the STi decal, and got to work....and this is what I came out with:

Posted Image

or maybe with black bumpers:
Posted Image

edit....decided it needed some tint:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 dhise

dhise

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Detroit

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

Hey, if ya got the time, see what it looks like if you black out the door handles as well. I'm thinking of doing mine on black....

-Doug

#3 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:31 PM

Hey, if ya got the time, see what it looks like if you black out the door handles as well. I'm thinking of doing mine on black....

-Doug

you know....I saw a GL-10 in the junkyard with black handles last summer...it looked really nice. not sure how it would go with this blue, but it's worth a try.

Edit: how about...like this:
Posted Image

#4 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, I think black bumpers and door handles are the best. What about like a half inch wide "pinstripe" that follows the line in the body going between the bumpers? Just curious what that might look like.

#5 newsoobdude

newsoobdude

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • helL A/ NorCal Foothills

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:23 PM

Posted Image[/QUOTE]

Looks sic as sh**!!! Go for it:headbang:

#6 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,627 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:31 PM

you couldnt photoshop out the dent on your fender :lol:. Sorry couldnt resist. I love the look of it in the blue. I think i like the look of it with black bumpers..otherwise its just too much blue. Get er dun

#7 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,872 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:35 PM

Hmm.. I'm not into the blue.. But, it's not what I want, it's what you want. Looks good, but I would pick a different color.. Dunno what just yet. I like my red :)

#8 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:40 PM

I'd paint the mirrors black too.

#9 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,855 posts
  • North Central Wisconsin

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:56 PM

i would "two tone" it - blue above, black below, move the RX thing up and back - behind the wheel well & just above the body line...just my two cents...

#10 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:33 PM

i would "two tone" it - blue above, black below, move the RX thing up and back - behind the wheel well & just above the body line...just my two cents...

I've tried 2 tone stuff...and haven't found anything I'm terribly fond of. I did it on my lifted wagon and it looked sweet.....but I just don't see it working here.

I'll try relocating the decal. hadn't thought of that.

I was originally thinking leaving the bumpers and mirrors blue....but I'm liking it better with the black bumpers...maybe I'll do the mirrors too...

I already removed about a half a dozen rust spots, and a couple other things....didn't get to the dent. I wish body work was really this easy :-\

#11 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:03 PM

I am NOT normally one to say this, but I think it might look better with the trim line left on.... paint it blue if you want, but to me it is obviously missing something in the middle of the door.....

I can't say what I think would look best, or I would have posted this sooner.. but IMHO, it needs something in the middle of all that sheetmetal there...

As for two-toning it, why not just do the EXTREME lower section in black, or bedliner type stuff?? IE, START with the black just below your RX Decals??

#12 [HTi]Dain

[HTi]Dain

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Eugene

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:24 AM

Dudde, black bumpers, black handles, black mirrors with the tint! but why hte "RX" and "STi" decals? you have mods related to those cars?

#13 kiwi subbie

kiwi subbie

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:18 AM

dam i like. haha need my wagon 2 look like dat

#14 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:54 AM

[quote name=''[HTi]Dain']Dudde' date=' black bumpers, black handles, black mirrors with the tint! but why hte "RX" and "STi" decals? you have mods related to those cars?[/QUOTE']

yep, running an RX Full-Time 4WD tranny. and....well....Posted Image

did a few more versions today....I'll post them in a bit

#15 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,863 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

-Doug

Here in my Country, All Loyales came with Plastic Black Door Handles... :-\ ...and Tiny Bumpers, as other Brands do too...

I Like your Idea of Paintin´ The Wagon... if you Do, Please post Pics of that here.

Good Luck! :burnout:

#16 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:36 PM

fixed dents, black mirrors, RX body kit, removed RX decal (by the time I get around to painting it, I probably won't be running an RX FT4WD tranny).

Posted Image

#17 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,863 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:19 PM

Nice!

I Suggest you to Try to "Paint" a White Horizontal Stripe, in the Black Rubber Trim of the Doors area maybe... Also White Bumpers, Grill + Mirrors are a Good Idea... I Think! :burnout:

#18 misledxcracker

misledxcracker

Guy no one ever answers

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • Bullhead City

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:22 PM

That would make for one SWEET wagon!

I think it looks awesome the way you photoshopped it!

#19 waimaks

waimaks

Hey Boe!

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • NZ

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

How about The bumpers black, door handles, and the RX kit black also?
Bit more contrast?
I approve anyway:)

#20 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:13 PM

THAT looks excellent, and removes what I felt was a "need" for the dent-stripe along the sides.... I would agree to check it out with the mirros and body kit black, but also try ALL blue with the body kit on...

The ground effects REALLY complete the car. I hate afterkarket stuff usually, but most factory body kits appeal to me in the extreme... (the 86 300ZX comes to mind as one obvious example.. as well as our subarus.)

Try thinking of different logos or decals you might want instead of the RX.. someone here (I can't recall who right now.. McBrat?) makes them custom, and they come out nice.. I am fairly sure he can do most anything you can email him in high enough resolution.

Looking good, this is what computers were made for :grin:

#21 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,439 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:41 PM

Must resist urge to lower my offroad wagon...THAT looks sick as hell.black body kit,black door handles,black mirrors,black bumpers.That would be the coolest I have ever seen a wagon look.

#22 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,415 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:46 PM

Must resist urge to lower my offroad wagon...THAT looks sick as hell.black body kit,black door handles,black mirrors,black bumpers.That would be the coolest I have ever seen a wagon look.

The dark side of the force is a pathway to many things some consider unnatural...

Sorry I mean, lower it:headbang:

#23 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,439 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:59 PM

No,I have had offroad magazines ever since I could read...Now I finally have a offroad rig.Although my next subaru project will be lower.Im thinking on the lower one take 2" out of an Xt air suspension strut then bolt it to EA82 wagon.2 inches lower + AIRSTRUTS.

#24 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,415 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:21 AM

No,I have had offroad magazines ever since I could read...Now I finally have a offroad rig.Although my next subaru project will be lower.Im thinking on the lower one take 2" out of an Xt air suspension strut then bolt it to EA82 wagon.2 inches lower + AIRSTRUTS.

I don't think the air ride works that way. No coils to remove.

#25 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:16 AM

THAT looks excellent, and removes what I felt was a "need" for the dent-stripe along the sides.... I would agree to check it out with the mirros and body kit black, but also try ALL blue with the body kit on...

ok:
Posted Image

Posted Image

and just for fun, with STi BBS's on it:
Posted Image

meh, I like the Rota Torques better.

even if you could cut 2" out of the air struts without destroying something. you'd still be 4-lug, and you'd still have the air struts.....

I've got something else entirely planned for suspension on this beast (hence the STi decals.....)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users