Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Camping/fishing EA82 wagon. ideas???

I'm having thoughts... as I might be getting an EA82 (GL-10) wagon soon. I want to make a rig for camping/fishing, granted I could get a cheap van or truck, but I want to stay strictly Subaru! :) And the Vanagon, plus the conversion, too expensive...

I want to figure out some way where I can fit a small sink, and a small stove in the rear cargo area, while managing a side to sleep, just in case I stayed late fishing and didnt want to drive.

I'd remove the back seats, and possibly rig up a way to make everything perfectly flat and secure all the way from the back to right behind the front seats.

Ideas? :banana:

(Also, pondering a back slide-out and a tent type setup for when the rear hatch is opened, for more room...)

Honestly.. I would concentrate on using as much camping gear as possible, and setting up the interior of the ride to hold all the stuff in regimentalized areas.. IE, build a set of interior shelves or something on the side to hold your tent, your small sink apparatus, your camp stove and portable grill..

You might look into converting it to run LP Gas, that way you just have to tap the car for fuel for all these gizmos.. then, while you're at it, you could cut the rear up and TOTALLY re customize it to integrate a fuel tank and make the most of your room.. I am thinking almost flatbed-style, with the aim in mind of having something not TOO far removed from the godawful dodge caliber when you are done....

Thats a wild idea, but thats sorta what you asked for, :brow: I have thought about this alot actually.. but its all been idle daydreaming.

the big thing that you will need to watch for is local laws...i don't know what it like for you but here if you tried that without the right paperwork/documentation you could pretty much send the car to the crusher yourself.

but that being said, have you ever slept in your car before. the one time that i had to lay in the back was enough to discourage me from doing such a thing. tents are cheap plus they don't require any extra paperwork.

like i say, when it all comes down to it....its a mater of dollars and cents--how many dollars makes sense.

the big thing that you will need to watch for is local laws...

Yes... but Beside that, you can cut the Wagon´s Rear Roof right to its Base, then add a 12 inches of reinforced metal sheet all Around, then Weld the cutted Roof Again to that new Upper Trim, so it will Rise Higher. And Add a "Camper Style" Windows to the Front of the Raised Roof, to Look Nicer! :)

I Saw someone done somethin´ almost like that, on an old Datsun 210 Wagon... now it has T.V. Set and other goodies, aside of other rear seat, in other Place. (I remember a Microwave and a Small Refrigerator there too)

Well... Good Luck! :burnout:

I am a fan of tent camping... but that is not crashing out late at night because you don't wanna drive. Thats different. I had one of those 4'x4' red menards trailers that I built a box and on the front was a mini kitchin w/ sink, paper towl holder ect. Worked great for us while we were running around seeing phish shows and such. But thats a trailer to pull. I suggest a "box" in the rear that you can stand and use your sink with the hatch open, whatever. But have it easilly lifted out, put it outside, and go to sleep. But really, what would be most economical and practical is just pack your bedroll and propane stove in the back and say fuggit! Pull your drunk rump roast in the back and crash out, make you breakfast on your propane stove! Good Morning SunShine!

You might take some measurements and see if a Westfalia top would fit with some modifications.

I've camped in my Legacy a few times, and I found it very nice to have all my gear in bins so that I could completely empy out the rear cargo area for sleeping purposes. Some sort of fold-out table either on the side of the car or attached to the rear might be very useful.