Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The OEM pulleys should be interchangeable. I have an (cheap - off ebay) underdrive pulley that I used on both a 97 OB 2.5 and a 90 Legacy 2.2.....I took it off the 2.2 as it was noisy, but seemed to help MPG on both. 2+ MPG on the 2.5.

Did the t-belt just get changed?

Many times the wrong torque is used, it should be 125 ftlbs. Make sure you pull the damper and inspect the end of the crank shaft and the key that hold it and the crank gear in position. If there is no damage, use locktite and 125 ftlbs and you should be good to go.

Did the t-belt just get changed?

Many times the wrong torque is used, it should be 125 ftlbs. Make sure you pull the damper and inspect the end of the crank shaft and the key that hold it and the crank gear in position. If there is no damage, use locktite and 125 ftlbs and you should be good to go.

yes the timing belt was changed and the bolt was not torqued down enough,now the pulley is damaged and key is messed up.

I am now thinking this pulley coming loose is what made my car die, has anyone ran into this problem before?

it happend to me on a 93 2.2 legacy and later i noticed similar symptoms on a 95 2.2 legacy. i had some keyway damage on the crank on the 93, but the shop was able to "glue " it back together. although i've learned since then there are better ways. when it failed i had to get towed, it would turn over ,but didn't even come close to starting.

the sympton on the 95 was an apparent wobble on the crank pulley bolt. when i showed it to the mechanic he was very pesimistic. he didn't think there was much hope. but it turned out with a new pulley, and bolt plus locktite and 125 ft/lbs it was good to go.

so all you guys who have used subys and you don't know who did the timing belt, check out the crank pulley bolt while it's running. if it wobbles or looks off center get it fixed before it fails.

just my opinion.

it happend to me on a 93 2.2 legacy and later i noticed similar symptoms on a 95 2.2 legacy. i had some keyway damage on the crank on the 93, but the shop was able to "glue " it back together. although i've learned since then there are better ways. when it failed i had to get towed, it would turn over ,but didn't even come close to starting.

the sympton on the 95 was an apparent wobble on the crank pulley bolt. when i showed it to the mechanic he was very pesimistic. he didn't think there was much hope. but it turned out with a new pulley, and bolt plus locktite and 125 ft/lbs it was good to go.

so all you guys who have used subys and you don't know who did the timing belt, check out the crank pulley bolt while it's running. if it wobbles or looks off center get it fixed before it fails.

just my opinion.

ive got the pulley ,woodruff key and crankshaft sprocket.now i just need to get the sprocket off.im pretty sure the pulley wobble is what made my car die now since everything else was checked on the car.

Steve: if using a puller is necessary (rust penetrants don't help) , you might try threading the holes in the sprocket. I had to use a puller on the pulley but not on the sprocket. A jaw-type puller did the job, after a great deal of fiddling.

The key is still in there and damaged right? Possibly the crank too? With some very carefull work you may be able to save yourself. Snap-On sells a pencil die grinder, basically an air powered Dremel tool. The bits for it fit in a dremel so you might be able too clean up the key and crank with it to get pulley off. You can get a new key but the crank is a bit more expensive so keep it off the crank unless absolutely neccesary. This is finicky work and one oops could blow the job so be steady and be ready to walk away to try later.

i finally got the crankshaft sprocket off.i had to pound chizzels in the back side of the sprocket.the crankshaft looks ok but im going to defintly get anouther seal .the keyway also looks good.im hoping the pulley coming loose is why my car wouldnt start its been down for 3 weeks now.tomorrow i will put it back together and see if it starts up.