Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 people-HELP!- exhaust manifold to head bolts...subaru tool? how to remove?

Ok.....

Last summer I hit something with my brat, and broke an "ear" on the EGR manifold where it bolts to the head.

The two bolts that hold it to the head are strange, and seem to be larger than 13mm......but a 14mm is sloppy. :confused:

There are also "TORX" slots in the center of each bolt.

I cant get a socket (even if I had a 13 & 1/2mm) straight on the bolt heads, because the lower flange of the EGR manifold sticks out too far!

Im thinking that this must call for a "special" subaru tool?

My crappy but enlightening ms paint diagram can be seen here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/954/MANIFOLD.JPG

Thanks for any help!

That pipe is actually your ASV valve pipe..not EGR. It was meant to introduce clean air from the air cleaner to the exhaust. As for the bolts you are refering they are indeed a Torx bolts. Last time i took a look under there it looked like a royal pita to get those things off. If i understand correctly you damaged that spacer and now need to take it off? I would get some PB blaster and soak the crap out of those two bolts..maybe even start the car up and get those bolts really hot before you try and get them off. As for a special tool i dont think there is one. I think you just have to be somewhat creative..as using a torx wrench will not do it at this point i doubt. maybe cut the sides of the bolt down with a file so that a socket fits snuggly on it. Thats something that i would probably do. BAP ( big a$$ pair) of vise grips might also help. Sorry if this doesnt help you too much. I hate exhaust work and feel your pain. good luck

Thanks for the reply. I was REALLY hoping that there was some "secret" to this.....but there never really is I guess. :-\

I guess that creativity is just gonna have to be the key to this baby. BFvicegrips and the mapp gas torch might just do it. :Flame:

• 1 month later...