Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Manual choke conversion for Hitachi carb?

I'm running one on my "84 hatch. It's really easy to do. I thing I paid $10 for the kit from Carquest. Just drill out the rivets on the chock housing and mount the housing from the manual chock kit on the chock blade arm. Then drill a hole in the dash, route the housing cut it to size and set the pull. thats it

Roc

• 8 years later...
  • 8 years later...

I assume that it would pass smog because they run the test on a warm engine. You’ll manually have the choke wide open when warm, so it should breeze through if all else is good. I just checked mine after failing smog and realized that warm my choke is totally closed when I pulled the air cleaner. I’ve either got zero power going to it, or it’s out of adjustment. Looks like I’m drilling rivets! 

Have to trace the wire back.  See if you can find a schematic.  The FSM ones are very detailed.  Someone on here may have a scan or a link if you don't have a FSM.  I am not sure what else is on the circuit that feeds the choke, but there are likely a few things on it, protected by a fuse.  The schematic would help figure out which fuse to check also.

So I found a fuse, and no idea where it is. All the fuses in the block are 15 and 25, this is a 5.

Is it inside the Fuel Pump Control Unit? Is this black box the FPCU?

I have so many questions. I wish I could rent a subaru mechanic for an hour and fire questions at them. 

162DB6AF-8A75-429F-B9B4-552DB90B8D79.jpeg

E8E84DFF-D6AD-4EB0-9D0A-DD152A2BB9EF.jpeg

2540BB91-ED81-4478-A12A-88FAA3DCF9C7.jpeg

42712A7A-1DDA-44E9-B978-9D22E4456D0B.jpeg

Edited by NuclearDeLorean