Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Relocate pedals?

I like to drive my 1987 GL wagon with big heavy work boots.It is very difficult to drive it because it seems like all of the pedals are about an inch or so to close together.Would it be possible to cut the existing pedals,then put a spacer between the the two sections of pedal linkage to physically space them out that extra little bit?Only the clutch and brake would be altertered,gas pedal would stay in the same place.Is that even possible or would it weaken the metal to much?

I like to drive my 1987 GL wagon with big heavy work boots.

Mind if I ask, why??? when I had to wear big heavy work boots, I left them off until I got to the jobsite.. and I have an Auto!!

I honestly enjoy driving barefoot. Ever see what driver's shoes look like? picture slippers.

Just curious, thats all.

Yea i dont think these subaru pedals were meant for big shoes. I have big feet and have gotten in the habit of tilting the heal of my left foot out a bit so i can put the clutch in all the way without hitting the brake pedal. Its annoying but i deal. Id just take the work boots off and drive with sneakers or barefoot.

it's definately doable, it just depends on how much work you want to put into it

I've seen cars with throttle on the left (physically impaired), so just spacing the pedals can't be that hard :lol:

if you were to remove the pedal box, cut the pedals you want to modify and just weld in a piece on a 90 degree angle, (or perhaps more like a Z shape) you'll be fine

I have a similar problem... I wear a size 13, and when I have my boots on I just can't drive comfortably. I try to remember to wear my sneekers when I drive. But yes, they are no good in mud.

If you look in my Brumby's build up thread you'll see that I modified my throttle pedal, this wasn't to fix the problem you are having, but it was to fit a different pedal in.. But, seeing that will show you how easy it is.. With a left hand drive car I bet you could just get down there and bend it over a bit.. They are pretty soft. I can't bend mine, as it will lose travle into the fender wall.. silly RHD car.