Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what should I do with an EA81?

Snowman

I happened upon a supposedly running EA81 for free the other day, and it got me thinking, which is never a good thing. It seems like the EA81 would make a really good stationary engine, set up to drive a generator, air compressor, water pump, or some similar load. It's incredibly simple, small, light, and quite durable. Problem is, I haven't the foggiest idea what to hook it up to that would be practical. I would imagine that an EA81 would turn a pretty darn big air compressor, so if I was using it for shop air, I would either need a huge tank, or it would only run for a matter of seconds each time, which would kill the longevity. A generator would be pretty cool, but I don't know how I would govern the speed.

Any ideas?

Try a snowcat/snow mobile since you are in Alaska.

I am building a Doran. I just got the plans yesterday.:banana:

it's a huge PITA b/c the way the plans are drawn they don't show your how long things are and there isn't a bill of materials.

So I have to pretty much review the entire plans to know how much metal I need to buy. I guess that's a benefit cause then I will know exactly how things are put together.

BW

• 1 month later...

we bought some property that had an old inline 6cyl with a 4speed tranny behind it that were hooked up stationary as the drive motor for a sawmill.

unfortunately the previous owners tore it down and hauled it away before I could get pics

• 2 weeks later...

i vote for a welder/generator.and if anyone knows the elctrical end of this i am willing to build it.. i have run into a few plans online,but nothing that i have the patience to read....ie one that is not 75 pages and not condensed.

an air pump like the vdub idea might be pretty cool too.

cheers, brian

Try a snowcat/snow mobile since you are in Alaska.

Or more apropriately a snowmachine.;) Gotta have the true Alaska speak there. I think it would be cool to build something like an old honda odessey chassis or something slightly larger with four ski's and mount the motor with a pusher prop on the back.:slobber:

heh heh heh... I'm not even reading the posts..... AIRPLANE, DUNEBUGGY, baSNOWMOBILE, SUPER BAD rump roast RIDING LAWNMOWER.... OR you can just use it to look preety, haha yeah clean it, chrome everything, and stick it in one of those coffe tables that have the 350 smallblocks and stuff... HAHAHA that would be rad!!! :clap:

In your zone of the planet

I'll bet adding some wheels and a tongue so it could be trailered.

Then add a gen/alt set up for 120v and welding, with a convert

for the air compressor - 2 cyl x 2 cyl.

You'd be Snowking

OR

You could do what I hope to and put it in one of these

Trimutation.jpg

• 4 weeks later...