Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA81 intermittant wiper switches (Brat-specific)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dfoyl

dfoyl

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Victoria, Australia

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:57 PM

Dropped into my local U-Pull-it yesterday looking for a few bits and noticed they had an 83 Leone sedan in the sale yard with a different intermittant wiper switch.

The DL-level US Brat's, as we know, didn't come with intermittant wipers, and the general upgrade is to take the complete switch (and intermittant relay) from a wagon - which has the rear wiper switch built in...and the rear wiper switch is pretty useless on a Brat unless you want to wire in a rear wiper on a canopy.

The 83 sedan, however, had in this case a off/int/lo/high switch without the rear wiper switch attachment.

I know for sure early sedan's and coupe's DON'T have intermittant wiper switches, and I don't believe the 83/84 coupe's were fitted with them either so it might be a sedan-only fitment (at least down under). EDITED 4/3 : 83+ coupe's have the intermittant also. I haven't found an '82 to check.

Hopefully this is of use to some out there looking for intermittant wipers on their Brat...

Dean.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:27 PM

US Brat's do have the intermittant wipers - GL's only of course. Did you mean to say that the "Brumby" doesn't have them?

Coupe's and Sedan's here also have them and yes, the switches are the same as the Brat since they don't have rear wipers like the wagon and hatch.

GD

#3 suby rebel

suby rebel

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Wickepin West Australia

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:59 AM

To the best of my knowledge no or at least I have not seen any in my local area as there is about 30 or so gen2s. I modified the switch cut of the wires for the rear works great.:headbang: :headbang:

Tim

#4 dfoyl

dfoyl

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Victoria, Australia

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:27 AM

>>US Brat's do have the intermittant wipers - GL's only of course. Did you mean to say that the "Brumby" doesn't have them?

No, the local "Brumby" was not fitted with them - in any option level as far as I know. I am 100% sure the early sedan's here didn't have them either, because I know the '81 I used as a console donor had an aftermarket unit fitted on the opposite side of the steering column to where the manual choke is fitted.

I recall asking about intermittant wipers on here at least 3-4 months back and a handful of US guys stated the Brat's didn't have it either - maybe they were referring to DL level only or had only seen DL level Brat's. Interesting the US market used something like intermittant wipers as a break-point between DL and GL...

Dean.

#5 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,302 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:35 PM

My GL Brat has them.

GL= T-Tops, d/r 4wd, Tach, Volt, Oil Pressure Gauges in cluster, optional a/c, intermitant wipers

DL= s/r 4wd, and none of the other stuff

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

My GL Brat has them.

GL= T-Tops, d/r 4wd, Tach, Volt, Oil Pressure Gauges in cluster, optional a/c, intermitant wipers

Well - it's more complex than that. The automatics didn't have T-tops after 84 even in GL trim. Also AC could be installed in DL's as it was a dealer option as well as a factory option. D/R of course was only on GL manual's not on GL automatics.

But yes - ALL gen 2 (82+) GL Brats have intermittant wipers. All of the ones I've owned and driven had it.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users