Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Distributor trouble (Vacuum Retard?)

I have a 79 Brat EA71 that I have done some major work on.

The origional Distributor was shot when I purchased the vehicle so I got a new one.

The new distributor fit perfectly and appears identical to the origional except that it has a Vacuum retard, as well as a vacuum advance.

Because the origional was shot, the new Distributor made a substantial difference in performance.

However, when maintaining a speed of 25-50 MPH the engine begins to pulse and acts like it is missing. The engine runs smooth when it is idleing, accelerating, maintaining speeds above 50 MPH, and the engine runs smooth when I rev the engine in my driveway.

In addition to the new distributor I replaced the origional Hitachi Carburetor with a 32/36 Weber with .130mm Main jets.

Neither the origional carburetor nor the Weber have a vacuum retard port. so I have just plugged the vacuum retard port on the distributor.

Other parts of the ignitions system I have replaced

• Spark Plugs (all gaps have been checked and rechecked)
  • Spark Plug Wires
  • Ignition Coil
  • Coil Resistor
  • Electronic element of the distributor (gap has been checked)
  • Cap and Rotor (6 months old)

The Cap has melted plastic to one side of each of the contact points (i will Post pictures)

The timeing has been set to specifications found in haynes manuel

Is it possible that the lack of vacuum to the retard feature of the distributor is causing the rough engine behavior?

Glad you got it figured out.

I'm gonna have a fun time when I pull the dizzy on my 79's engine to change the O-ring, as I've never taken a dizzy out of an engine before.

I know, I'm a spoiled brat who's used to fuel injection and coilpacks :-\