Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pick my car

Mugs

I am sure that this question has been asked at-nausium from newbies, so I will apologize now...SORRY...:grin: Ok now that, that is out of the way. After spending the weekend and yesterday combing through this forum I am now on the hunt for a "builder" and I have a few ?'s that I will just post in here as well. If you all could just direct me to the related links I can do the research myself and save you guys from having to re-type what (I am sure) would be for the bazillenth time the same thing. Ok here goes.

I would like to have a soob to lift and take more off road, than my nice and purty 96 Legacy. I would still want it to be street legal and yet definitely not stock. I don't care what the shape of the body is in or the interior either. It will get gutted and "caged" any way. Just a few gauges and hopefully some A/C I have to have A/C for going down the road. I was thinking along the lines of 6-8in of lift. I am really regretting selling my 91 Loyale push button 4wd, but I had no idea at that time what I was selling (stupid is as stupid does) In my thinking I would want one of the older gen soobs' that have the HI/Low range diff just for better wheelin capabilities. I like the "burly" looks of the 4dr wagons that came before the GL's, what are those up to...mid 80's? My son wants a Brat. He is only 12 at the time but is already getting into cars. And of course he wants one of those (insert word here) cars that sound like a bumble bee on steroids or a jeep. But after looking through this forum he has changed his mind and now really wants a brat "lifted and all that dad :cool: " (I think he would be happy with what ever) It was music to my ears. Finally something we can connect on and do together that will fit the pocket book. Of course he will be helping pay for things but I figured if he saved up this summer and then buys something this fall. He would have another three years or so to build it the way he wanted to, and would be more responsible for it as well. So what is a good year of soob to get? I would of course want to beef the motors up as well and would actually prefer to install a FI engine in it if it came with a carb one. I.E. 1.8 TBI instead of the 1.6 carbed. I have decent mechanical aptitude as per me being an ASE and AAS automotive tech for a few years before I switched careers. And have always been around cars my whole life so building the things won't be too out of my league, I feel. I went on Craig’s list in our area and saw some potential ones, but I wanted to post the questions here before I go and spring for something that turns out to be lemon. Upon telling my wife my plans she said I would have to get rid of the car that is sitting in the back I am supposed to be restoring, I agreed. So if you know anybody who is looking for a rust free, straight bodied 1970 VW Square Back send them my way.

Now for some technical/newbie ?’s:

What the heck is an OBS (Outback Sedan ?)

What is the difference between an EA81 and an EA82, I am assuming it is gens/years/and cc’s along with other features.

What came after these motors/gens of soobs?

What are the older wagons called anyway, there is the hatch but what is the four door version called?

If somebody could give me a break down of all this that would be great. Or at least direct me to the sites and I can look at it myself…I learn best this way.

Ok I think that is all I have for right now. I do have some driving ?’s but will post them later.

Thanks in advance

First welcome to the Board.

OBS=Outback Sport. more specifically the Impreza w/the higher suspension.

For the info about the 1980's soobs spend sometime looking at the homepage of this forum http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/

Then go to the 80's pages and look to your hearts content.

The wagon style that you are referring to I think is the EA81 wagon. more round than the Loyale that you had.

These cars are super easy to work on and this site is really a great place to learn. For more older soob repairs surf around the older generation forum.

Have fun and good luck w/your build.

BW

Now for some technical/newbie ?’s:

What the heck is an OBS (Outback Sedan ?)

Honestly, I've never figured out if OBS is Outback Sedan or Outback Sport. I've heard it used in reference to both....

What is the difference between an EA81 and an EA82, I am assuming it is gens/years/and cc’s along with other features.

same cc's. both happen to use a 1.8, but they're pretty different. the EA81 uses a gear driven cam and pushrods to the valves, whereas the EA82 has timing belts and overhead cams. they also denote very different body styles/chassis designs

What came after these motors/gens of soobs?

:confused:, after the EAs, came the EJs. legacies, and imprezas....

What are the older wagons called anyway, there is the hatch but what is the four door version called?

no specific name, just the trim level (GL, DL, GL-10, RX, etc.). We just refer to them by their body style, i.e. '88 GL Wagon, '83 DL Brat or '87 RX coupe

If somebody could give me a break down of all this that would be great. Or at least direct me to the sites and I can look at it myself…I learn best this way.

well, EA82s are the loyale body style. and were made from '85-'94. the only EA81s to carry over beyond '85 were the brat and hatch. They have pretty distinctly different body styles once you've seen a few of them.

Ok I think that is all I have for right now. I do have some driving ?’s but will post them later.

Thanks in advance

that should give you a decent start, I'm sure someone will chime in later with better descriptions and fill in any holes

To me the mid 80's GL and Loyale body styles looked the same :-\ So I guess I had an EA82 because I replaced the T-belts in it. So What I think I am looking for is an even older style soob. Maybe late 70's. early 80's...Like the one that is on SJR's logo but only a four door, that is what I am looking for. But reality of it all is I want something that is farily inexpensive to build and will wheel good. I have been seeing buzz words like locked diff and split range trans so what years did those come in, or is locked diff a mod that is added to the DR trans. Basically something with HI/Lo and can be lifted farley well, and can wheel well is what I want. I will admit that the Loyale was cake to work on, but I do like the DR trans and looks of the older style soob's. Thanks for the input thus far.

Ok I just came back from the 80's site (thanks s'ko) and what I want to "Beast" out is the 79-84 dl wagon w/4spd dr trans. and the EA -81t (because it is a FI motor) I like that body style it has a "burly" look to it. The reason why I want a wagon is more room for the kids and I. But what are your guys' recomendations. I am sure I can R&R an EA82 in any of these 80-84 ones right? Or can I get a newer gl/loyale and put in the DR trans and locked the diff. Can the motors be "rodded" out farely well or is just a matter of doing transplant and that is what were stuck with?...Ahh soo much to learn.

OBS = Out Back Sport (impreza). I'd argue the suspension difference, they are the same as an impreza wagon, just a silver bottom and a badge. And a hood scoop 97-01. Suspension is the same, look up the part #s.

SUS = Sport Utility Sedan. That is the Legacy Outback Sedan.

Mugs, welcome to the site. As for choices of a good Subie 4X4 Wagon that you can lift and what not, I'd personally go with an EA81 (the style of SJRs Hatch only in wagon form). That and if you and your son find a Brat later on, all the lift components will swap right in. From what I've gathered over time and reading through the older postings (going back as far as possible) from what I remember they are smaller on the outside and have a better turning radius as well.

As for fuel injection on an older gen engine (EA81/82) that was originally carbed check out http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67272&highlight=spfi . Yes you can always drop a newer EJ series into your ride and gain some HP, but the old EA81s are basically grenade and bomb proof and will run FOREVER. Avoid the EA82s if possibbe due to the timing belts. Avoid the EA**t's (turbo's). They wont do any good offroad and are very temprimental from what I've read (besides the fact that the EA81t's only came in an autocrapic anyways). If you find an EA81 with an automatic it will have the hydro lifters instead of the solids available in the manuals. The Dual Range transmission of choice for lifted rides is the HIGHLY coveted 5spd which was only available from 85-89(?).

As for getting the later EA82's or Loyale series I believe you can put a D/r into them (someone on here is doing it atleast http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72984&highlight=D%2Fr%2A%2A+Loyale)

The locked diff option is the "Lincoln" Lock (welded) or going LSD. You can go with an LSD but.... Someone told me that the 5spds are capable of an LSD of some sort, for the front ONLY would be my guess.

As for rodding of the engines I believe we are limited to cam grinds http://www.deltacam.com/index.php but you can always check out google for the personal aircraft guys that use the EAs (LOTS of $$$ from what I've gathered).

My best friend after joining this site was the good old "search" tool, he showed me alot of interesting stuff and just reading all the posts in the different sections (retrofitting, older gen and off road) as far back as possible that sounded like something good/ informal/ intersting. Good luck with everything.

PS- we WILL ALL want pics of what you get and your progress, so, fair warning:grin:

Ok I just came back from the 80's site (thanks s'ko) and what I want to "Beast" out is the 79-84 dl wagon w/4spd dr trans. and the EA -81t (because it is a FI motor)

NOOO do not get one with a EA81T. Find a body style you like with a good running regular carbie EA81.Then swap the TBI/SPFI set up from the EA82 cars.While you are at it swap in the 5 speed DR from an EA82 aswell for better gearing and shift linkage that isnt sloppy.After that this forum should be able to answer any questions you may have.

BTW locked diff refers to the lincoln/miller/esab/whoever that you use to weld up the rear differential.You will need to pull one CV axle out of the back to drive around the street so you dont blow rear axles and wear down your tires.

Mugs, welcome to the site. As for choices of a good Subie 4X4 Wagon that you can lift and what not, I'd personally go with an EA81 (the style of SJRs Hatch only in wagon form). That and if you and your son find a Brat later on, all the lift components will swap right in. From what I've gathered over time and reading through the older postings (going back as far as possible) from what I remember they are smaller on the outside and have a better turning radius as well.

As for fuel injection on an older gen engine (EA81/82) that was originally carbed check out http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67272&highlight=spfi . Yes you can always drop a newer EJ series into your ride and gain some HP, but the old EA81s are basically grenade and bomb proof and will run FOREVER. Avoid the EA82s if possibbe due to the timing belts. Avoid the EA**t's (turbo's). They wont do any good offroad and are very temprimental from what I've read (besides the fact that the EA81t's only came in an autocrapic anyways). If you find an EA81 with an automatic it will have the hydro lifters instead of the solids available in the manuals. The Dual Range transmission of choice for lifted rides is the HIGHLY coveted 5spd which was only available from 85-89(?).

As for getting the later EA82's or Loyale series I believe you can put a D/r into them (someone on here is doing it atleast http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72984&highlight=D%2Fr%2A%2A+Loyale)

The locked diff option is the "Lincoln" Lock (welded) or going LSD. You can go with an LSD but.... Someone told me that the 5spds are capable of an LSD of some sort, for the front ONLY would be my guess.

As for rodding of the engines I believe we are limited to cam grinds http://www.deltacam.com/index.php but you can always check out google for the personal aircraft guys that use the EAs (LOTS of $$$ from what I've gathered).

My best friend after joining this site was the good old "search" tool, he showed me alot of interesting stuff and just reading all the posts in the different sections (retrofitting, older gen and off road) as far back as possible that sounded like something good/ informal/ intersting. Good luck with everything.

PS- we WILL ALL want pics of what you get and your progress, so, fair warning:grin:

I'm pretty sure the brat has the same wheelbase and turning radius (or close) to a wagon. but the hatch is drastically shorter.

the EA82 isn't a BAD motor....in fact, it's pretty good. the timing belts are the weak link, but pretty simple. the last one I did, was on the side of the interstate in central MN. My mom timed it...including time to put my coveralls on....14 minutes from getting out of her car, to starting mine. that was a driver's side belt too, so the passenger one had to come off aswell.

rear LSD is possible pretty easily. the Clutch-type is decent, even offroad. When you've got 2 wheels off the ground, with an open diff, you've got no power, with an LSD, it's like having a couple guys pushing on your bumper...more than enough to get you out of many situations.

Welcome, fellow Spokanite!

Hey, if you're looking for a cheap, lift-able car, I've got a wonderful, nearly rust-free '82 wagon and a '93 Loyale I need to get rid of (send me a Personal Message about that one).

Anyway, there is a wealth of knowledge around here. Now that you've tapped into it, there's nowhere else you'll want to be. Marriages and friendships have been known to dissolve. I hope you can deal with that. ;)

Welcome aboard, and feel free to ask whatever you want, whenever you want!