Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T engine dies

Ok guys, I've got a good one for you. I pulled my Turbo wagon out of the garage today and let it run in the driveway. after it was warm, I went out and revved the engine a bit. after a few good revs, if I blip the throttle or give it a lot of gas and let it idle down, it will die on me. Now for my question, WHAT IS WRONG?????

Update: now when I start it, if i dont get on the gas, it will idle for a few seconds, then die.

Maybe something made it past the filter and is clogging your jets. Mine was still trying to die after changing the filter. I pulled off into a parking lot and grabbed my carb cleaner in a can and sprayed the heck out of the carb. It helps if you have two people though, one to rev the gas to keep it from dying and you to spray the carb down. It fixed my problem anyway.

the o2 will have no effect until the engine reaches a certain temp and it goes off the preprogrammed warm up fuel and timing maps

then it will go into closed loop and take input from 02

perhaps check the and see if the maf has died or even the throttle sensor

did you try some fresher gas?

This only started happening today after the car reached operating temp, making the O2 sensor a seemingly likely culprit. Ill get some fresh gas along with some gas heat tomorrow and Ill read up on the MAF and throttle sensor trouble shooting guides tonight. Any other suggestions or past experiences?

I say the gas is bad. I remember how ANGRY I got at my grandfather for something so asinine, it almost left me stranded on the road at 1AM. My Legacy was misbehaving that night, so I decided she could sit in the garage and pout :temper: So I borrowed my granpa's 92 Isuzu p'up, carbed 2.3L... Coming home, the engine just died. I tried starting it, to no avail. I tried starting it with the pedal to the floor, and it started, but I let off the gas and it died again. So I started it again at WOT, and kept it there. It ran fine with the throttle wide open, any less and it would die. So I literally drove the truck WOT all the way home. Thank heavens it is so slow, so I wasn't really going all that fastm even floored :lol:

I got home and parked it and had to sit and relax for a few minutes, then went to bed. I woke up and told him in the morning, saying maybe it had a bad fuel pump or something. He said "no, it's full, I just put some gas that I found somewhere in it not too long ago..." I damn near slapped him right there for putting UNKNOWN gas in his vehicle!!! Who knows what else was in it besides gasoline??? Water, beer, skunk piss???

So now that I got that old story off my chest, put some fresh gas in it and see what happens :lol:

I hope you don't have the opposite problem I just went through. My Turbo would be almost impossible to keep running when it was cold. The engine would just sit there and flood until the fast idle would kick off, after that it would run like a top. After checking everything under the sun I was told it was the ECU acting up. I didn't believe it but I picked up another one, hooked it up and the problem was gone.

Good luck finding your gremlin.

Well guys and gals, I poured like 4 gallons of premium gas into her and drove her a little to get the old gas out of the lines, but still she has to go and die on me... what should I do next? I could check for codes, but the ECS light isnt on. I know it works because when the key is in the on position, it comes on. IM so angry!!! rawr!!!!

T-bone, I think as per the instructions the "read memory" connectors are black in color

http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/

If the coolant temp sensor has corroded connections, as is most often the problem, the ECU will not light the light nor store a code as their is still resistance on the input. I believe the ECU would have to see an open (infinte resistance) or a dead short (0 resistance) before tripping the CEL.