Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There is no Legacy coupe. Never has been, probably never will be...

And I'm not totally sure what you are referring to as "running gear". Do you mean the drivetrain, engine and tranny etc.? That should fit, yes.. assuming the level of trim is the same (both either turbo/nonturbo, MT/AT, etc.) Any differences might necessitate some modifications...

Originally posted by subyluvr2212

There is no Legacy coupe. Never has been, probably never will be...

And I'm not totally sure what you are referring to as "running gear". Do you mean the drivetrain, engine and tranny etc.? That should fit, yes.. assuming the level of trim is the same (both either turbo/nonturbo, MT/AT, etc.) Any differences might necessitate some modifications...

93's have a drivers side airbag, manual seatbelts, and level 1 door safety beams, 92's had those terrible motorized seatbelts (in the US only, outlawed due to decapitations almost everywhere else).

I think the 93 had a freshened rear end on the sedan, but no cosmetic differences on the wagon.

Some US 93 special edition wagons had the "humped" roof now present on the Outbacks (humped roofs were common as far back as 85 on Subaru's sold overseas).

Thats pretty much it....

Alias, the facelift was in 92 for USDM Legacies, not 93... 90-91 Legacies look the same and 92-94 Legacies look the same...

Not sure when the motorized seatbelt was axed, but I wish it wasn't. I'm one of the few advocates of them...

The "raised roof" wagons you speak of were ones like the GT wagon and Sun Sport wagon, and there's another I'm forgetting, but I think those were 94 only, not positive though...

Oh and 500th post :banana:

Originally posted by subyluvr2212

Alias, the facelift was in 92 for USDM Legacies, not 93... 90-91 Legacies look the same and 92-94 Legacies look the same...

Not sure when the motorized seatbelt was axed, but I wish it wasn't. I'm one of the few advocates of them...

The "raised roof" wagons you speak of were ones like the GT wagon and Sun Sport wagon, and there's another I'm forgetting, but I think those were 94 only, not positive though...

Oh and 500th post :banana:

The 93 Turbo Legacy had a different taillight bar... Maybe just a Canada thing though. The 90 and 91 turbo sedan also had different taillights (again maybe a Canadian thing).

The third special edition was the "Alpine" edition, and you could be right on the 94 model year only thing. The 94 vehicles were available in May/June of 93 because the redesigned 95 was coming.....

There are several issues with the motorized seatbelts:

- motor fails / or track jams

- position of upper seat belt mount is not adjustable and therefore not optimized for drivers of different heights

- most cars (not Subaru's) had the motorized seatbelt attached to the doors, which caused hundreds of deaths since it is a very common occurance for the right side door to come open when the car is hit hard on the left in a "T-bone" accident. The passenger/driver is then partially or completely thrown from the vehicle. This problem also affects all vehicles with manual belts on the doors (late 90's Crown Vics for instance). Seat belts are now required by DOT regulation to be mounted to the vehicle frame or to the seatback.

- many drivers fail to use the manual lap belt, which can lead to major throat/thorasic damage in a minor collision and partial or complete decapitation in a moderate to severe collision.

The idea of the automatic seatbelts was to force drivers who don't normally wear them to be buckled up, but if you don't use the lap belt you are risking severe injury or death.

I like the new plans from NHTSA where there will be occupent sensors in all seats, and until all occupents are belted an alarm will progressively get louder, and not turn off. There is also talk of connecting the system in such a way so the radio will not work until the belt is fastened. New Fords have a very long and loud buckle up alarm. All of this is overkill in Canada where better than 95% of us buckle up all the time, but in some US states the compliance is below 60%. Don't make this a Canada/US thing, I think it just has to do with Canada having seat belt laws 10-15 years earlier than the US and massive education campaigns in the schools, in which I was taught to make a fuss until my parents buckled up.

Canada banned the import of vehicles with motorized seatbelts shortly after they came out because of these problems, which forced many Canadian dealers to ship stock back to the US or convert them to manual belts. The only motorized belt Subaru's in Canada were the early SVX's, on which most owners swap to full manual belts when the motors go.

It is possible to change Subaru automatic seatbelts to manual ones, you need the roof and B pillar trim and the manual lap/shoulder belt assembly, the upper manual belt mount is still present in the B pillar.

I don't like the motorized seat belt for the following reason:

My son's car has them, and I find myself forgetting to put the lap belt on because once the shoulder belt comes up, I "feel" like I'm belted in and forget the lap belt.

I learned to drive in Germany way back when, and belts were required so I have always used them.

I like to think that if people aren't smart enough to buckle up, they deserve whatever they get. Only problem with this rationale is that if they become paralyzed or suffer drain bamage, then they get stuff paid for by us belt-wearing folks in the form of taxes.

Yeah, my 93 has a motorized seatbelt. It's broken (jammed or off the track or something, Dealership wants to replace the whole thing). Anyone have more information about this conversion thing?

Also, I'm pretty sure that the only changes from 92-93 are exterior, such as the taillights/rear trunk.