Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Head gaskets replaced, what precautions before long vacation trip?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vic

vic

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:35 AM

Having head gaskets and radiator replaced after head gasket failure and overheating problems. I will get the car back on Monday and about a week and a half later will be taking a 600 mile trip to the southern Missouri Ozarks for a week of canoeing. My 1999 Forester with 165,000 miles on it will be loaded down with a week’s camping gear and a canoe on top. Most of the miles will be Interstate with speeds of 70 to 80 mph.

Before leaving for the trip what paces should I put the newly repaired car through? The problems I am repairing expressed themselves after driving for about 20 minutes on the interstate at about 70 mph, then when stopping at a light on the off ramp the temp gauge shot into the red. It would then come back down to normal by the time I drove through the intersection. Eventually it would should into the red every 2 miles. That’s when I had it towed in for the repairs.

[FONT="][FONT=Verdana]So, any advice on test driving it before my long trip and what to look out for would be appreciated.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,507 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

A canoe on top? hrmmmm. You didnt say if this is a manual or an automatic. AT the very least i would service the tranny check the fluids and take the car on a long drive to make sure all is ok. I am mixed on a tranny cooler at this time. I am assuming (hint) your getting a new T stat and radiator cap too.

nipper

#3 vic

vic

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:16 PM

A canoe on top? hrmmmm. You didnt say if this is a manual or an automatic. AT the very least i would service the tranny check the fluids and take the car on a long drive to make sure all is ok. I am mixed on a tranny cooler at this time. I am assuming (hint) your getting a new T stat and radiator cap too.

nipper

Manual transmission. Yup, almost never go anywhere on weekends or vacation without a canoe. Best way to see the country since I've gotten too old in the knees and back for backpacking anymore.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,323 posts
  • WV

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:21 PM

they should replace the water pump and timing belt as well since it's all apart any way, there's no extra work involved really. a new thermostat and radiator caps to complete the cooling system service.
check all your fluids and drive away.

#5 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • West Grove, PA

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

You are brave, 600 miles 10 days after a head gasket replacement. I would make sure to drive that car every dave before you go to make sure the head gasket replacement works. I would have them replace any seals they see leaking while they have the engine apart.

#6 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 687 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

Well, after driving through several start-get up to temp-cool down cycles, I would definitely check the coolant level in the overflow resevoir...if there was any trapped air in the system that works its way out after the initial fill, the coolant level can drop a fair bit. Top 'er up as needed. You don't want to be traveling at high speed with low coolant.
I agree with the other poster; use the car as much as possible prior to the trip, preferably some high-speed highway driving. Good luck!

Nathan

Having head gaskets and radiator replaced after head gasket failure and overheating problems. I will get the car back on Monday and about a week and a half later will be taking a 600 mile trip to the southern Missouri Ozarks for a week of canoeing. My 1999 Forester with 165,000 miles on it will be loaded down with a week’s camping gear and a canoe on top. Most of the miles will be Interstate with speeds of 70 to 80 mph.

Before leaving for the trip what paces should I put the newly repaired car through? The problems I am repairing expressed themselves after driving for about 20 minutes on the interstate at about 70 mph, then when stopping at a light on the off ramp the temp gauge shot into the red. It would then come back down to normal by the time I drove through the intersection. Eventually it would should into the red every 2 miles. That’s when I had it towed in for the repairs.

[FONT="][FONT=Verdana]So, any advice on test driving it before my long trip and what to look out for would be appreciated.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

#7 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:55 PM

Say three novenas ans drive the heck out of it. Should be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users