Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi there, my 95 liberty wagon has just it 424,000kms, it already had 385,000 when i purchased it, starting to have some teething problems now though, the suspension is about buggered, clunks and pops and squeaks, from what i can gather it is burning oil, the seals are gone, the valve and piston issue /rings, and i have had ongoing issues with the 'clutch shudder' even after replaced three times, faulty indicator staulk, and just recently the 'check engine light' has started coming on :((((

Rarely but it loses compression every now and again going uphills to the point where it just sounds like its running on one cylinder then it stalls and dies, i restart and its fine.  

Overall happy with the car, except for lack of security features and the excess fuel consumption really lets it down... 

Agree  an average of 300K miles / 500K km + is a good innings if looked after  ie serviced regularly (engine oil/filter  changes etc)  

and also agree coolant replaced / system flushed  as per recommendations in owners manual ( including T- belt replacement etc).

If rust not an issue.

Still own an 87 Brat with only 130K miles (206K km) .

Until rust put it off the road in 2009 -  had an 86 GL wagon  with 225K miles with  plenty of life left in it mechanically. (would have easily made 300K+)

Edited by subnz

01 Outback 347K bought used off a car lot with 169K. I am the 2nd owner.

I had a reman motor put in at 254K after changing head gaskets on old motor twice. I have a 122 mile daily commute in DC traffic and I get 25 MPG at 80 MPH and above. I am a Lucas user and use thier oil treatment along with Mobil1 5w30 and a Mobil1 filter changed at 5K intervals. I use Lucas 80/90 in the diiferentials change at 30K and Lucas transmission fluid and thier additive changed at 30K intervals. I put a set of new cats (ebay) on at 250K. I have to replace the anti knock sensor once a year (autozone lifetime) and of course the usual consumeables (tires brake pads and rotors)It is the best car I have ever owned.