Ultimate Subaru Message Board

6 lug tire/wheel fitting

Wicked_36

I am installing a 4" lift on my 86 gl hatchback. I am also doing the 6 lug conversion. I've got a set of toyota 16x7" wheels. Can I use them without any other modifacations. What are the largest tires I can get under the subie without chopping her up to much.

Thanks.

Here is another one, http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62289 but what you should come away from this is that there is no one answer. I have an 86 hatch, 3" lift and fenders trimed about 25mm with 28" Swampers on it. However, I'm running 14" pugs not a 16" rim. Alot of it is going to depend on what your willing to do to the car, it is relative to what you think is to much.

without chopping her up to much

Your location is a definate plus, there are alot of guys out there who have a wealth of knowledge and experience on the subject. HTH, Tim

pretty much everything you will do will depend what you want to accomplish.sjr and rollie and a few others are up there in your neck of the woods.......check'em out on there shop nights.i'm sure they won't mind.how far do you want to go?that is the question.

I read through the thread. It doesn't really answer my question. Does anyone know if I'll need to shim out the wheels, or can I just beat the fenders into submission.

Thanks.

Welcome to the USMB

It kinda does answer your question.

And without pics of what wheels you're talking about, how would we know if you would need to "shim" them out or not? Wheels come with wide variety of backspacing and offset.

Did you go thru the frequently asked questions sticky at the top of the forum?

You'll find the answer to your question is pretty general. There is no manual to refer to. ;)

I am installing a 4" lift on my 86 gl hatchback. I am also doing the 6 lug conversion. I've got a set of toyota 16x7" wheels. Can I use them without any other modifacations. What are the largest tires I can get under the subie without chopping her up to much.

Thanks.

27" (215/75-15 ) works good 28-29" requires a little more trim and banging 16" rim hummm.... wondering the offset, you dont want to much , also if they are alloy you will need different studs and nuts, (costly) your welcome to come by on shop night thursday at 7:00 we can help , we get together just for the fun of it PM me with phone if interested SJR

I would say with those rims you are going to want to look for the smallest offroad tread tire you can find to fit them.. Then cut the car up.

Done forget about gearing.. 27" is ok in my book for EA engines, 28" is ok for EJ's, but I wouldn't go any bigger without a extra transfer case, lower diffs or something like that.