Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The hidden art of the EA81

Been spending a few hours over the cleaning tank with my "new" EA81, and have found it to have a strange beauty to the castings. Maybe it's the Simple Green fumes, but these things are nice inside. The intersection of smoothly sweeping curves with sharp machined surfaces, the way things are blended together. In the typical Japanese style, there is no more there than needed, rather efficiently made, and engineered with a real concern about the end result.

I might take some pics of this thing, especially since I have never seen an EA81 this clean :lol:

The EJ motors look pretty cool too.For some strange reason the EA82's didn't look cool,probally cause mine broke down all the damn time.Speaking of which,I need to clean my engine bay of the mud from my last trip out and the grease that was on the motor before I swapped it in...

I think how reliable something is takes a definate tole on the perceived beauty of an object.Partically engines.

The EJ motors look pretty cool too.For some strange reason the EA82's didn't look cool,probally cause mine broke down all the damn time.Speaking of which,I need to clean my engine bay of the mud from my last trip out and the grease that was on the motor before I swapped it in...

I think how reliable something is takes a definate tole on the perceived beauty of an object.Partically engines.

I actually felt the same things as I was cleaning my short block, heads, valve covers and cam cases on the ea-82 when I did my headgasket job...

does anyone know why they cast the engines with that external "webbing" all over them?