Ultimate Subaru Message Board

now that it's cold my car wont start

the last two mornings has been in the single digits or teens. this is my first winter with my ea81. the only way to get it started was to spray ether into the carb.

the last 8 or so winters i was driving an ea71 with a manual choke i rigged up. i could always get it started, although the colder it was the harder it was. is rigging up this choke the only way to solve this problem? surely subaru did not sell a car that couldn't be started in cold weather.

SK, You need to do a little homework, sorry to say.

With the engine stone cold. Step on the gas pedal one time (half to three quaters of the way should suffice). This "sets the auto choke" Then take of the air cleaner top plate off (three wing nuts).

The choke plate (top "flapper in the carb throat) must be totally closed. If it isn't, well out comes the ten (10) mm wrench.

Pull the two bolts holding the aircleaner housing down. Gently lift it and spray a good lubricant ( not prefumed alcohol aka WD40) LPS #3 is good Triflo is best, all over the passenger side of the carb and it's linkage. Lower the assm. and try setting the choke again.

You give no year so I will have to assume it has the rivoted autochoke assm. I.E. No adjustment, if it is internally knackered, go with a manual conversion or buy a repl.

Hope this helps and yes Subys start in the cold very well when correctly set up. If the choke is setting it is possible your carb is "bleeding down"do your homework and if it's bleeding down the start proceedure is a bit different

what works the best for an oil pan heater that I've found is a battery blanket. Soob oil pans are about the same size as the battery thats used in the car... When I put mine on this year, all you have to do is drop the oil pan skid plate and wrap the blanket around the oil pan, secure with one piece of bailing wire, then put the skid plate back on.. the plate holds the batt. blanket in tight against the oil pan...

Mine car starts fine even at -40 F

:P