Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Leaky Windshield

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:47 AM

So I figured out why my blinkers weren't blinking. Seems the flasher was filled up with water... leaking from the windshield. After changing to synthetic blinker fluid, the blinkers blink well. :grin:

Anyways, how does one fix a leaky windshield? Sounds like its a remove windshield and replace gasket kinda thing... Do companies like diamond autoglass do this for a reasonable price?

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,896 posts
  • WV

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:02 AM

i would guess that eventually you will have to do what you just said, remove and replace. i tried sealing one up a hundred different ways and it never worked. liquid sealant, black sealant...a dozen different kinds, inside and out and it wouldn't work. you can try some of those methods first.

#3 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,889 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:21 PM

Best bet is to get a new gasket. If you try and seal it up with really anything, the moisture thats already trapped in bewteen the seal and the pinch weld around the windshield will rust faster.

#4 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

windhsield rust == bad.

My car, as rusty as it is, will one day go to the wreckers for one reason: one of these days, some innocent little rock is going to hit the WRONG spot on my windshield and it will spiderweb because its not supported adequately. When the rails holding the windshiled are not solid, the impact resistance is compromised.

My point is, heed the warnings regarding using a sealant to try to stop the leak, and get it done right. Otherwise, the rust will get worse and you will be in my shoes.

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:17 AM

So I figured out why my blinkers weren't blinking. Seems the flasher was filled up with water... leaking from the windshield. After changing to synthetic blinker fluid, the blinkers blink well. :grin:

Anyways, how does one fix a leaky windshield? Sounds like its a remove windshield and replace gasket kinda thing... Do companies like diamond autoglass do this for a reasonable price?

That's exactly what happened on my Brat. I nearly mentioned that your flasher was probably full of water as that seems to be the most common way they fail. Looked nasty and rusted inside.

Sadly most windsheild shops don't like to replace the gaskets - they like to "flow" the glass in with that liquid urethane stuff. While it does work, it looks like a$$ and doesn't retain the chrome strip. There are a few folks that have replaced them on their own - apparently it's not that hard. You use kerosene (per the FSM) to lubricate the gasket and using a bit of strong cord you pull the gasket through to the inside working your way around the glass. Get a NEW gasket if you can - I've heard that the dealer one's have gotten a bit "hard" from years of shelf life. Try some of the aftermarket suppliers and let us know what you find as I will be in need of one eventually myself.

GD

#6 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,734 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:42 AM

We are doing a special order for Gen 1's for EXACTLY the same reason!!!

See the sticky at the top of the Historic Forum.

Get a new rubber. :slobber: There are certain rubber things that cause major problems when they fail. A Subaru front gasket and you can guess the other! LOL

I think Precision Replacement parts has the gasket still.

http://www.prp.com

If not, I would suggest getting special order started. They will make a batch for 25 or more. I'm POSITIVE you could get 25 to buy NEW gen 2 windshield rubber.

Todd

#7 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,732 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

... After changing to synthetic blinker fluid, the blinkers blink well. :grin:

Anyways, how does one fix a leaky windshield? ...

Synthetic Blinker Fluid... I Remember that! :)

Well... as its Explained, the Better Idea is to Change the Gasket, but for Temporary use, you can put in Clear Sylicone.

it Worked fine on my White Wagon. :burnout:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users