Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

phase1 ej22 vs. phase2 ej22

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mellow65

mellow65

Subaru, my drug of choice

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:10 AM

So we all know a well taken care of ej22 will damn near last as long as you want to take care of it. But I have only owned the phase1 ej22 and never a phase2.

So are the phase2s as good as the phase1? I know somewhere in there they lost their non interferenceness. So timing belts are good to keep up on. They went from a duel port exhaust to a single port exhaust. Not sure why but oh well. And they gained a couple more HPs. I think 2.

So what do people think of them? Are they as good as the older ones? What other changes did they make to them?

The reason I ask is because I am going to go look at a 97 Impreza OBS with 101k miles on it. :clap: I know in the suby world that's just getting started.

If it was a phase1 I wouldn't think twice about buying it. I just don't know as much about the phase2 stuff.

#2 Manarius

Manarius

1995 Subaru SVX LSi

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Grantham

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:34 PM

1996 - EJ22 gets solid lifters. Need adjusted every so often.
1997 - EJ22 goes to interference design.

Two things to consider in your purchase. The phase II EJ22 actually didn't come out until 1998 or 1999. These two changes are just ones made to the phase I EJ22.

#3 mellow65

mellow65

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:04 PM

well then i guess i got both of those things. picked up the 97 impreza OBS

and how odd is that, i would think they would start with solid lifters then move to hydraulic ones, not the other way around.

oh well runs great, clean little car, just needs a good wax and clean. has new tires and the magic 101k miles. Just out of that break in period. :lol:

#4 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:30 PM

By model year, the change to solid lifters occurred in 1997. 1995-96 had hydraulic lifters and rollers, while ealrier engines didn't have rollers.
But "Phase II" designation is usually reserved for the design that came out in 1999-2000 (depending on vehicle model), with speed-density air metering and other changes.

#5 mellow65

mellow65

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

ok but getting back to my original question, are they as bad rump roast as the older ones. or is there anything to look for.

#6 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,426 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:59 PM

are they as bad rump roast as the older ones.

YES... And they feel like they have a flatter torque curve as well, comparing my mom's 98 to the 95, 90, and 90 I've owned.

#7 mellow65

mellow65

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:15 PM

good to know. I'm going to do the normal stuff, not to sure about what has been done to it. Planning on going on a long trip in a couple weeks and want to get things all up to par.

New timing belt
New water pump because I'm in there anyways.
new plugs and wires. (NGKs only)
new fluids, engine, tranny, rear diff

the normal stuff.

YES... And they feel like they have a flatter torque curve as well, comparing my mom's 98 to the 95, 90, and 90 I've owned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users