Ultimate Subaru Message Board

15 days to make a Brat inspection-ready. *gulp*

Well, two hours after Mark dropped off the Brat on Saturday, my apartments had it towed for not having plates. Since I'm technically still a Kansas resident, this posed a problem, especially given that it was Saturday, and it's not like the MVA is ever open. After working through the entirety of their business hours yesterday, I managed to get up early enough to get down there today, where they charged me $75 for 15-day tags good only to drive to and from inspection.

I know at this point it won't pass inspection, but I'm unwilling to cough up another $250 to get it towed again. So, I've got fifteen days to pass the Maryland safety inspection. I know I'll need new wheel wells, ignition switch, and fuel filters, the ignition switch portion of which Mark is graciously sending me. But in Kansas, inspection consists of "Hey, did you get it here okay?" "Yeah." "Here's your tags, then." and I have absolutely no concept of what needs to be done. Please help.

You can get a unit big enough to store it likely for ~$75 a month.

I would look into that before I let them tow it or get MD safety inspection when in the end when you title it and tag it in KS, MD won't be able to do crap about it not having their inspection. Especially your complex. Its not required for you to have a MD inspection on a car titled and tagged anywhere else.

Mark

hmm i dunno about MD, but here in virginia you can still get plates without the inspection.. but it is required to be inspected..

ya might hit DMV and try to get plates for it before the inspection..

if that doesn't work, take it in for inspection, let them fail it, but then you will know what needs done to make it pass.. they usually give ya a little sheet with whats wrong, etc..

I am junkyardgabe's woman (born and raised in Maryland)and the best thing I can tell you is ---

That the inspection is 2 staged because on top of having the vehicle inspected--you then need the emissions tested as well at a different station. Maryland inspection stations are usually very -very - very- very strict because they want everything to look stock and look like factory. Your best best is to get it regestered in Kansas.

Yeah, MD hates cars more than VA. In VA there is a law forbiding nearly every aftermarket part or mod, although pre 1990s domestics are never ticketed. I had to dig around for a very backwoods low rent redneck garage who had never seen a Subaru BRAT before and who's idea of inspection was to check the lights. Even then I had to extend my side pipes by 5 inches because that was his inspection fetish.