Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Only highmount brake light illuminates when brake pedal is pressed 1994 Legacy Wagon

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:47 PM

On this 1994 Legacy L Wagon, when pressing the brake, only the highmount/third brake light illuminates. The left and right stop lights do nothing. The left and right taillights illuminate if the parking/head lights are on, but there is no change when pressing the brake.

Just wondering if this is a common issue or what wiring areas to check. Maybe this issue was already addressed in another post... Thanks! :)
Posted Image

#2 Hendrik

Hendrik

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Holland and Brazil

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:08 PM

On this 1994 Legacy L Wagon, when pressing the brake, only the highmount/third brake light illuminates. The left and right stop lights do nothing. The left and right taillights illuminate if the parking/head lights are on, but there is no change when pressing the brake.

Just wondering if this is a common issue or what wiring areas to check. Maybe this issue was already addressed in another post... Thanks! :)
Posted Image

Sometimes there is a `Stoplight Checker` , build in the right tail lamp.
Has 3 reed relais and the current flow for both brake lights goes over this circuit. Just check it.

#3 jamal

jamal

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:01 PM

I think the bulb has separate elements for the brake and tail lights. Is it possible they're just both broken?

#4 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

Hendrick, thanks I will look for this stoplight checker. Jamal, good point, I thought about that today, it is entirely possible that both stop lamp elements are simply blown out. I will check it out. :burnout:

Since I just got this vehicle I've got my 10 day temporary NYS inspection sticker and the list of things checked in a NYS safety inspection and am trying to make sure everything is in order before going in.

#5 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

Schweeeet! Problem solved. One bulb was blown out, the other just had a bad connection in the socket. Replaced both bulbs and it's working! Thanks you guys! :banana:

Here's the story in pictures: Yes there is some weird relay contraption on the RH side:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Then I put in these new bulbs:
Posted Image
With some of this grease on the contacts and stuff:
Posted Image
And this is what happened: (:banana:)
Posted Image

#6 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:48 PM

yay! :banana:

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:51 AM

Bulb Grease? Thats a first.
Maybe i really do need to check to see if they have synthetic blinker fluid.

nipper

#8 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:33 AM

Hm...maybe I should see if they have synthetic bulb grease! :cool: and might as well put in the low-friction muffler bearings while I have it up.

Not sure what in this bulb grease. It's a white paste. I suspect it's silicone grease with some sort of cleaner in it. If put on a tarnished connection it will make it shiny after a while.

Haven't had any stuck in the socket bulbs on the Suby's though even without this grease. Started using it on the 'ol 88 lincoln 'cause the bulbs liked to rot into the sockets making them impossible to get out. This stuff seemed to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users