Ultimate Subaru Message Board

whats this light mean?? tach is jumpy too

got a littel red light that says ECS. it lit up yesterday after i changed a coolant hose that sprung a leak..

car is sorta hard to start now also.. gotta acctually give it pedal to get it to start sometimes..

Edit: this is the 85' RX ea82T i also noticed the tach started jumpin when this light came on..

think the disty might be goin bad?

doh.. the hose i had to replace was just the one that goes from the intake to the turbo.. had to remove the turbo heat shield, but that was it.. nothing right there in the terms of wires to bump...

if i have the codes read, it should tell me whats wrong, if its not a connection problem shouldn't it?

umm since his is turbo i assume its fuel injected ..

if you unplug the computer then you have nothing running the injectors ...

and i would bet he has a leak somewhere in between the engine and the maf sensor causing it to start hard

loose clamp

the occasionally forgotten to re attach vacum line <i always hate those>

ect ect

tony...

ive always had to crack the throttle to get that car to start from day one. back in the early subaru turbo days there was a TSB out about this if im not mistaken...i have to do the same on my XT.

a new fuel pressure regulator may/may not fix this - who knows.

re: the jumpy tach - this wasnt a disty issue. i think it was just some little annoying voltage thing...youll notice when it starts jumping around a bit, if you were to turn on the headlights or some other big electrical thing on the car it'll either calm down or stop completely...another external ground will probably prevent this from happening again.

ok Dennis, the tach seemd to have fixed itself after i regrounded the car again.. used my ground wire off the wagon (it was beefy)

on another note, what do i need to read the ecs code?? never messed with them before..

i'm assuming the little black box under the steering column is the computer.. its got a red light that flashes 3 long and 3 short per cycle.. any ideas?

never had to crack the throttle at all on my 86' turbo wagon, and its got 290k on it. lol at any rate, maybe i'll pull the FPR off it and see what it does..