Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Necessary parts for rear drum to disc conversion

From searching i came up with this at another site:

e-brake cable, backing plate, rotor and caliper

is that to say you can do the swap without exchanging the hubs? if it's just a matter of swapping drums for disc's that sounds much easier than swapping the entire hub like i originally thought was the case?

i was under the impression i'd need the entire hub for the ebrake drum set-up of the discs?

Hi. I'm preparing to do this on a '96 brighton. My research seemed to indicate the hubs and spindles are the same part # drum or disc. As you said the backing plate is different though. Plus then you need all the parking brake stuff, shoes, springs, etc. Of course need the caliper brackets/mounts too. I'm not sure if the parking brake cable will be different; seems like it was the same part # drum or disc.

Sure, looks something like the attachment (this is for 1996 Legacy). None of those parts are too expensive brand new, but the adjusters were like $20 each I think. $65 or so for a parking brake kit including shoes for both sides. Springs and stuff were a few $ each I think.

post-19886-136027622298_thumb.gif

• 1 month later...

why is it necessary to swap the ebrake cable? i can't just remove the cable from the hub and reinstall it once i'm finished the rear caliper install?

and do i need all the ebrake parts from a disc equipped vehicle or do the ebrake components that are in there now, stay there?

since this is the wifes car i'm trying to minimize down time.

I'm not sure if the e-brake cable is required. I haven't actually gotten around to doing my swapout yet, but it seems the parking brake cables were the same part # for drum or disc.

Yes, you need the ebrake parts from the disc equipped vehicle, the springs, cups, hold down pins, pads, etc. The disc brake parking brake is esentially a drum brake inside the disc, completely separate from the caliper and disc pads. Whereas the parking brake on the drum brake just uses the regular drum brake pads for braking and parking function.

That pic I attached in post 4 shows just the e-brake components. Then the rotor goes over that, and the caliper and bracket and disc pads are over that.

AH HA!! that's what i was missing. thanks a bunch, that really clears up what was confusing me - i thought both the drum and rear disc set ups had separate ebrake components. awesome, i have an entire vehicle at my disposal so i should have everything i need...even the ebrake if i have to.

if anyone knows whether you have to swap the ebrake cable for sure, let me know. i haven't seen any conclusive evidence here or at nasioc either way. but i have seen people say "you need the ebrake cable".....but i'm wondering why on that as well.

Buddy at work swapped discs in last week, from a 98 Leg OBW to a 99 Imp OB Sport. E-brake cables were needed, but we used the rear knuckle assemblies as the Imp rears in general have :Flame: crap bearings. We noted the end of the cable to be different between the two, where the cable "mounts" to the backing plate. We were unable to determine if it was a Legacy/Impreza difference or drum/disc difference. My money is on the drum/disc, due to the clip needed to hold the cable into the disc backing plate. However- this gave us about six inches too much cable, being the shorter body Impreza...

Otherwise, all worked well, have fun!!!

Lewis