Ultimate Subaru Message Board

when it shifts into 3rd their is a delay in power. the trans shifts but it takes about 5 seconds for the power to go to the wheels. it almost feels like i'm letting off the gas when i'm not. after stopping i have to wait about 5 seconds before i go again or it will start out in second gear.

what can be causing this. or is it time for a new trans.

First off what the air temperiture? Secondly it never hurts to change the fluid (every 30,000 miles). If its cold outside (i think below 38) the car will extend shifts to help the car warm up faster.

Now this my be a coincidence, but my car did the same thing after the engine was rebuilt. I was having a voltage drop someplace, so i ran a ground from the engine to the battery, and the problem was reduced. It was just weird.

If the tranny is not flairing (jumping in rpm between shifts) i wouldnt worry about it.

nipper

Re reading it, since this is obd1 you may want to pull codes. If this is an AWD i wonder if you lost a vehical speed sensor.

How does it operate when warmed up?

What happens when you shift the transmission manually?

Is there any lag between R and D

as far as i know their are no codes. it has done it since i got it. it gets better after warm but their is still a delay in the 2-3 shift. i have not tried to shift manually and their is no lag between r and d.

if i am accellerating fast and the engine is at 4000 rpm or more the rpm's do jump up some on the 2-3 shift. it almost seems like it's between gears then it grabs and all is fine after that. only does it on the 2-3 shift.

• 2 weeks later...

i tried shifting it manually through the gears and it still does it. i called a local subie garage to see if they had a good trans and they said 90-94 are the same. is the wiring and everything the same on these years?

i tried shifting it manually through the gears and it still does it. i called a local subie garage to see if they had a good trans and they said 90-94 are the same. is the wiring and everything the same on these years?

Trans is the same; rear diff is not - 4.11 for the '90-'91, 3.90 for the '92-'94.

Does it do it on every 2-3 shift or just on the first 2-3 shift of a drive cycle?

every shift, but when the car is cold the delay is longer. when it shifts i can give it gas and their will be no increace in speed then after 5-10 seconds it kicks in and everything is normal. when downshifting from 4-3 their is a slight delay. the rpm's will slowly climb up then it kicks in to 3rd.