Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No More EA71 Engines

Sadly, we will probably not be rebuilding any more EA71 engines. We just bought the last set of 1600 head gaskets in the USA and we won't use aftermarket as most of you know.

I still can get rings and bearings but all the other parts are disappearing and won't ever be available again.

Farewell to a reliable, solid little engine. :(

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Aw hell. Competition is a beeotch :lol:

Did SOA say the gaskets are now obsolete Emily? Or did you just buy the last set in inventory? FHI might still have some more and they'll just backorder.

I'm gonna look into this tomorrow. If I can't get the broken intake manifold bolts out of my EA71, then I'll have to pull the heads and take them to a machine shop, and that means new headgaskets. And, likewise, I don't want to use aftermarket either :(

Crap.

The Fel-Pro's are better anyway according to most experience here as well as my own. Newer gasket technology.

Here's a question - if someone were to ask specifically for you to do one using the Fel-Pro's would it be possible? I'm not in the market myself, but I ask for those that might inquire here on the board so that we may answer with correctitude.

GD

GD,

We've never used the Fel-Pro gaskets, but I'll ask Rick. Maybe we'll order a set to check them out.

These gaskets were "the last, there aren't going to be any more".

The water and oil pumps are getting hard to find too. :-\ Decent blocks to rebuild are very hard to come by, especially considering the 7 different configurations of that engine.

Findings to come.

Emily

GD,

We've never used the Fel-Pro gaskets, but I'll ask Rick. Maybe we'll order a set to check them out.

These gaskets were "the last, there aren't going to be any more".

The water and oil pumps are getting hard to find too. :-\ Decent blocks to rebuild are very hard to come by, especially considering the 7 different configurations of that engine.

Findings to come.

Emily

I think you'll find them quite capable. They also do not require a retorque. The water pumps *can* be rebuilt as long as the housing isn't damaged. It's not common here in the US, but in Mexico and other places where easy replacement parts are hard to come by it's done more often then not. The oil pumps might be a bit trickier as machine work is needed, but those too could be rebuilt. A performance cam shop could do it if they had a mind to.

GD

Farewell to a reliable, solid little engine. :(

You got that right,sister!!

Emily,can you please take the time to make a post in Historic about the seven different configurations of the EA71??? Please :) ??

Most of us know the "wide case" and the different Air Injection fittings,but I'm sure you with your knowledge can elaborate and teach us all something.

Thanks!!

Paul

I've got one of the last US EA71 engines, came out of my 87 STD hatchback. HAd MANY MANY arguements with parts store clerks, junkyard counter people, even a guy at the DEALERSHIP that it either "Wasn't an 87" or that I was mistaken that it was an EA71 due to the offset starter, but right on the front of the block it says "EA71".. Won't be parting with that engine anytime soon, 260k on the ticker and still gets 175lbs of compression in all 4 cylinders.

I've got one of the last US EA71 engines, came out of my 87 STD hatchback. HAd MANY MANY arguements with parts store clerks, junkyard counter people, even a guy at the DEALERSHIP that it either "Wasn't an 87" or that I was mistaken that it was an EA71 due to the offset starter, but right on the front of the block it says "EA71".. Won't be parting with that engine anytime soon, 260k on the ticker and still gets 175lbs of compression in all 4 cylinders.

My parts 86 std had that motor, but its still sitting in my dad's "other mechanic" shop. I'll probably be paying him a visit. Just to have a rare historic piece.

Ea81 engines are getting pretty rare here. they have mostly been flogged for aircraft or boat :eek:

I agree.Infact,I GAVE AWAY something like 5+ EA81's to Jude in "cornfields" Illinois so he can have lots of ultralight air action over those stalks of green 'n gold.He drove something like 900 miles each way to get them.Great guy,got one from me that was the dog of the bunch that got mixed up.So he drove back again!! since I offered to give him all my other EA81's for the screw up.

Of course,there'll be the guys out west who'll tell us "nah,there still all over place"...which is slightly true for them.

They all dry up sooner or later.Take it from a guy searching for 1300 engines.And not that I really need 1400's but I'm also looking for some of those too,although probably not worth the effort.

It's true - even here they are getting a bit more uncommon. I usually see only 1 or 2 in the junk yards now. On a good day I might find 4. The few left are being saved it looks like - sold on craigslist or on the street rather than being sent to the JY as more and more people get web access and see they can get more from a car from free online advertising than the yards will give them.

GD

Honest mistake. Engine codes are somewhat ambiguous as to whats inside. The ea71,81,82 all variants share the same bore. Ea81-82 also are the same stroke.

I thought that's what the consensus around here was though, that those numbers referred to the mm diameter of the pistons.

So then, what DO 71, 81, 82, etc, mean? They have to mean something.

You got that right,sister!!

Emily,can you please take the time to make a post in Historic about the seven different configurations of the EA71??? Please :) ??

Most of us know the "wide case" and the different Air Injection fittings,but I'm sure you with your knowledge can elaborate and teach us all something.

Thanks!!

Paul

Trying again......

1-Old Waterpump style

2-New Waterpump style

3-81 and older 1600===Higher Compression Pistons (true 1600 pistons)

4-82 and up uses 1800 pistions

5-FE version

6-Air suction valve variations

7-EGR Pipe setups-2 per head vs 1 on the pass side head

Bellhousing variations on top of that!