Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No More EA71 Engines

You assume that I know more than I know :D . That said, I'd have to research pictures, years, etc. Right now, I just don't have the time guys. Sorry.

I'll try to get to it at some point and post it.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

No sweat,thanks anyways,Emily.Our hero Mr.Statistics has risen to the occassion!!! :headbang:

Nice job Mr.S !!!:)

#6 is air injection though....right?:confused: At least I know there's different fittings on those....after that I still need time to compare.I'm very lucky that I haven't had to mess with my 1600's much at all.But that's why we love them so much!!:banana:

No sweat,thanks anyways,Emily.Our hero Mr.Statistics has risen to the occassion!!! :headbang:

Nice job Mr.S !!!:)

#6 is air injection though....right?:confused: At least I know there's different fittings on those....after that I still need time to compare.I'm very lucky that I haven't had to mess with my 1600's much at all.But that's why we love them so much!!:banana:

Yes, correct on the Air Injection. :)

Yeah it seems like I have a harder time finding EA-81 engines or cars for that matter around here. The only one I have is in my 84 Brat. I have three EA-71 engines sitting in my garage and one in my 78 Brat too. For some reason I have had quite a few of those go through my hands in the past few years. Just can't see keeping them all.

Yeah it seems like I have a harder time finding EA-81 engines or cars for that matter around here. The only one I have is in my 84 Brat. I have three EA-71 engines sitting in my garage and one in my 78 Brat too. For some reason I have had quite a few of those go through my hands in the past few years. Just can't see keeping them all.

Come to Ward. There's about 8 EA81 wagons, a few hatches, and a '82 brat. And lots of EA82 wagons too. Only one older wagon that I know of though.

• 2 weeks later...

Aha! I'm not sure where they came from, but I'm holding the two EA71 headgaskets that I ordered in my hand right now.

National inventory still shows zero, so maybe another dealer sent them back.

Regardless, if someone needs them, I'd still suggest ordering them anyway. They'll backorder, but I have a feeling FHI still has some more.

• 5 weeks later...
You really should. There are still people in this world who taske pride in their work and build a dang good product.

Could EA81 gaskets be modified to fit? I always thought the EA71 and EA81 were nearly identical except for the pistons.:confused:

The pistons are interchangab;e, its the stroke that is the key difference in the bottom end. I also remember somthing about the heads being a diferent bolt pattern.

The parts are so similar that we usually keep EA71 core engines together until we need to rebuild one. Over time (and careless or forgetful employees), parts will get mixed in with EA81/EA82 stuff. It drives Rick nuts to be in the process of an EA71 just to discover that what he trusted were the correct parts supplied to him...aren't! :mad:

So he has to go into his stash and find the missing pieces. That is, IF we have them.

That's another reason we've been telling folks we aren't doing that engine anymore. (Curiously, there's one in process at this very moment.)

The only item we don't have problems with (yet) is the piston rings because we buy from the manufacturer who supplies Subaru.

As a member of the Subaru community, we'd like to keep supplying something that nobody else does as long as there is a need for it. As a business, we have to consider the fact that the EA71 is a huge pain compared to the much more in-demand (and profitable) EJ series engines.

I guess we'll consider them on a one-at-a-time basis.

Sorry, it's Sunday morning and I tend to ramble....on and on and on. :rolleyes:

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

• 3 months later...

lol i gota set of fel pro head gaskits for my gf ea81 turns out it wasent the headgaskit. but good thing becuase the HG the parts place got was for a 1600. (ea71) i had them settin was gonna go trade them fora spare set of ea82 HG but then i fell into a SWEET rust free ea71 gl-5 1600 5speed wagon. :-p so if i ever need to change the HG i can. tho i dont think i will have the car long enough (PSSSSS ITS FOR SALE 500 :) ) let me know