Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECM fault changes with Gas Octane

:confused:

The ecm light on my stock carbed 84 GL Wagon has come on after about five miles of highway driving until I pumped in 12 gallons of 92 octane instead of my usual 89.

Now the light comes on after 8 miles.

I guess my question should be: Will the light stay off if I use airplane fuel?;)

dj the light is on a timer circuit it will go out and store the code, it does this in case there are multiple faults

or

it could be triggered by an intermitant fault

or

you could just check the ECU for what code it is storing and fix the problem?

or

use avgas and lay the cat to waste if it contains Pb

or

use the Click and Clack method of extinguishing the light - black electrical tape!!

nuff "or" ing?

need a code chart and instructions??

try here

http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/

Hope this helps

Mac, nice find, got luv those two nutz

Here is the ref. if anyone is interested taken from Mac's link

Dear Tom and Ray:

I have a 1986 Subaru GL station wagon with 135,000 miles. There is not a dealer around and local mechanics can't answer this question: After about 15 minutes of operation, the ECS light comes on. I assume this indicates a scheduled adjustment or part replacement. The car runs fine, but the light drives me nuts. Can you help? Paul

Ray: ECS...let's see. I think that means "Engine to Crap-out Soon," Paul.

Tom: Actually, ECS is Subaru's "Check Engine" light. It means the car's computer has stored a trouble code.

Ray: Underneath the dashboard, right above your knees is the computer. If you remove the plastic panel and turn the key on, you'll see the light on the computer flashing the code. For instance, you may see three long flashes followed by four short flashes, which would be code 34. Then you can call a Subaru dealer and ask them what that code is for.

Tom: And they'll probably tell you it's the EGR solenoid, which is what it is on 98.576% of all Subarus we work on.

Ray: You can confirm this diagnosis by asking the dealer is he has any EGR solenoids in stock. And when he tells you he has 800 of them, you'll know its a common problem.

I do not think it is entirely accurate. I believe the "read memory" connectors may need connected as out lined in the instructions, & the percentage may be a bit high as purge valve solenoids are the same part and therefore fail also

Thanks folks, I hadn't heard the bit about the timer and multiple codes. If there are multiple codes, shall I brush up on my morse code dictation to get 'em all recorded at once, or are the flashes distinct and slow enough for an old burn out like me to get ';em the first time?

... what do the suckers look like? Narry a picture of an EGR solenoid or purge valve solenoid in any of my books. Or if they're there, I'm dumb and blind enough not to recognize it.

On another related note, I've found that the system does not always store trouble codes. I've had the ECS light come on. After I got home and got a few minutes went out to check what code it was giving me, and nothing was stored. To get the code, I had to keep the key on after the ECS light came on and check it. Actually, I pulled off to the side of the road, kept the motor running and got down on my knees to peer into the space under the dash and count the lights. If I turned the key off at all and then back on again. the codes would disappear.