Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Am I turning front pulley in correct direction?!?

Guest Chip Hedrick

I am trying to remove the front pulley (the one that turns the alternator and air conditioning belts) from the EJ25 in my '98 OBW.

I pulled the breaker bar toward the passenger side of the car, but the bolt wouldn't loosen. The transmission was in 5th, and my wife was in the car standing on the brake pedal. She said I was moving the whole car. Is the bolt reverse threaded?

I soaked the bolt with Liquid Wrench and we went out for dinner and to the store. A couple hours later we came back and again tried to loosen the bolt, but had the same result.

Before quitting for the night I again soaked the bolt with Liquid Wrench, and this morning I am heading out to buy a chain wrench to hold the pulley while I try to loosen the bolt.

Am I turning the bolt in the correct direction?

Would using a torch to apply heat to the bolt help (without damaging anything)?

Any other ideas?

Guest Commuter

Others will offer suggestions on breaking the bolt loose I'm sure. There are different approaches.

The bolt is a right hand thread. I do know that.

Commuter

Guest Chip Hedrick

OK, I managed to get the bolt removed (after a trip to Sears for a large strap wrench and a later trip to Home Depot for a 30" x 1" steel pipe to slip over my breaker bar for extra leverage). I think the bolt was torqued to about 500 ft/lbs.

Now here's the problem. The pulley is being stubborn and won't come off. I did a little leveraging behind it with screwdrivers, but still no go (I had to stop because I'm committed to making an appearance at my nephew's 8th birthday party. Thankfully my wife also has a Subaru that I can use to get there.).

Any other suggestions on getting that pulley off?