Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Rx Questions

Tex

I always forget about the 2 letter block.

The RX has a stiffer suspension than the regular GL.

5 speed manual trans with center differential lock and a limited slip rear differential. 3.70 final drive.

Body kit gets you some molding on the bottom and an air dam for the front along with a spoiler on the rear deck lid.

Seats have a cool checkerboard pattern and are very stiff. I believe they usually have the height adjust lever on the side.

Engine is the regular ea82 turbocharged engine with around 115 HP. The newer the ea82 you can find the better as these have "gen3" heads and were less prone to cracking.

As you can see in the post I linked people have intercooled them and added hoodscoops. Lately, lots of 5 bolt hub conversions on these as the 4 bolt 140MM wheel pattern doesnt give you many sporty options and the standard hubcaps are usually tossed due to being somewhat ugly.

If its $1000 and not rusty its definately worth a pursuit.

In 85 and 86 they had a 4dr sedan and past that they were all "3 door" coupe models with the liftback gate.

These aren't really known for their 0-60 track times IMO as they are fairly heavy. Like any Subaru they are known for the traction mixed with a good engine that gives you a fun car to drive on twisty roads with minimal traction. Some guys in the PNW area are running them in Rallycross and doing quite well...in fact all of the Subaru's up there are doing quite well.

With primary power going to the front with the 4wd off, and 4wd engaging the REAR wheels....the Subaru's excel at the fun stuff.

not only did they come with the Gen 3 heads. but they also came with the best cams.

The earlier turbo motors were really a dog. they had a cam in them that wasn't much good after about 5,000 rpms.

The cams in the RX motor will pull all the way to about 7,000 rpm and keep going. A much better motor than the earlier EA82 turbo motors.

Personally what is more desireable to me is an RX Sedan. They has all the normal RX goodies, but weighed less (about 150 lbs) due to no big rear glass hatch. Were stiffer in the rear, and had a near pefect weight distribution.

the sedans are a much more "neutral car" than the coupes.

None the less. Pick the thing up

This is all pretty interesting, most of what Shawn has said is correct, what Qman added about the sedans is also correct. But is all my research, I have run across nothing that says that they have a different cam then any other turbo EA82, my parts book that covers from 85 to 90 show that exact same part number for the RX cam as all other cams in model years 87 through 90, the 85 and 86 turbos used that same cam as the carb engine. So there is a break betwee 86 and 87, but not because it is a RX. So, you haven't said is this car a coupe (3dr) or sedan (4dr)? The sedan had less aero kit stuff on it.

actually i think you are right. The 87 and newer motors did have the better cams.

there is a huge difference in performance between the 2.

If you've driven a 87 or later EA82 Turbo you will feel the difference. It will really rev 7,000 without protest, and still make plenty of power. The other cams just frankly suck.

Tex,

one thing about the tranny that has not been mentioned and is rather unique - it's basicly a 10 speed!

The hi/low range can be shifted up or down at speed, it not a true LOW range, more like half a gear.

and

you ask about mods

well with a boost control valve and some other "tweaks" they can be made to keep up with traffic.

my EA82T

willyslump.jpg