Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spacers for speakers

I just installed 4 new Sony 6" speakers in my 87 wagon. The fronts went in pretty straight forward but the rears dont have the spacer like the and I can't get the fronts do and I cant get the door panels back on all the way. Is there a spacer that you can buy to fix this problem. I think a one inch would be enough.

I've had good luck in the past fabricating my own. Go to the local Lowes or Home Depot or whatever and take a look at expanded foam (Styrofoam) insulation. You can buy sheets or bales of this stuff in a lot of different thicknesses. I use the 1/4" Dow BluCore fanfold stuff, but it can only be bought in 4 foot x 50 foot bales, so ya may not wanna go that route fo a single project..

Anyway, pick up whatever flavor you decide on, lay out your design on it and cut it out with a sharp razor blade or X-acto knife. If you need more thickness build as many laers as you want & glue 'em together with a hot glue gun set on the low temp. You can sand it to shape, even use a little body putty if you want to fill and smooth it..spray to match your interior with foam safe paint, and you're stylin'.

I've got 6 x 9 Jenson 4-ways in the stock front door locations of my '89 GL, used this method and it looks like it came from the factory with 'em.

I fly RC aircraft, we use this material a LOT these days..it's cheap at around thirty bucks a bale (that's about 30-40 airplanes, there!) really easy to work with, and finishes nicely..I've used it for body modifications on cars & motorcycles, as it is quite solid if you sheet it with fiberglass..super-fast way to build spoilers, air dams, flared fenderwells, etc..