Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suby Turbo engine swap

Finally might have found my subaru.

An 87 Turbo wagon with 157000 on it but the owner thinks it has a cracked block.

Suggestions on swap Would be most helpful, any other things to do on the car?

The only thing thing i'm worried about is everyone I've known who has had a turbo roo has had coolant or overheating problems.

I could probably score the car for like 300 bucks, input would be most helpful.

Cracked block? Never heard of that happening before.

If the engine is really toast - $300 seems a bit high unless the rest is in superb condition. If you have to replace the engine, it's going to end up costing you a couple hundred more for a turbo short block that doesn't need rebuilding. For that price $500 total - you could get one that doesn't need anything. It's more likely the heads tho - which do crack easily on the Turbo's if you don't watch the temp. Still a pain, and more money. 87 Turbo wagons are by no means rare either. Offer him $175, then maybe $200. If he doesn't go for it - walk away and let him find another sucker.

GD

I have seen two cracked EA82T blocks in the past 2 months.. Both 88 TurboWagons.it is possible. Depending on your location, $300 Isn't bad for the car if its in good shape otherwise. Sure you can find them for $500 .. sometimes.. or you can find them for $2500.. depends on condition, location, market and what you are willing to pay.

The swap is a whole lot easier than it looks. 2 nuts for the motor mounts, 4 bolts/nuts to hold the engine/tranny together, pitching rod stopper, a few winring plugs, a few vacuum hoses and the radiator and fans. not much to it at all.. done it a few times on 87 and 88 turbowagons. Last time we didn't even have a cherry picker, we just picked the motor up out of the car.:D

Oh yes! It is definatly possible to thrash the block on a Soob motor. Most people think of the EA motors an near indestructable, specially the 81, but they aren't, a rod knock and 6 grand can produce these results.

BOOM2.jpg

But I would check the car over, could be that it might just have a T-belt, or head/headgasket problem. 300 for a turbo isn't that bad at all, even if it isn't runing, and a block can be had for pretty cheap. Depending on whot you want to do with the car is whot you need to look into on whot you want to do. Lotsa luck.

If you do get it, then go for a rebuilt short block from CCR. Heard nothing but good things about their engines.

The guys are right - I'm just cheap, and most of the time I get non-running soobs for free, or VERY cheap. I'm probably an exception tho.

$300 is not bad if the rest of the car is nice. And has been pointed out, switching an engine is really no big deal. If you have been looking for a long time, and you like it, then grab it.

It's not an automatic is it? Stay away from them if you can. 157k would be nearing the end of the line for an auto. 200k seems to be their magic number. More if they are cared for - but then you don't know it's history, so you have to assume the worst probably.

GD

sheesh, you guys and your low mileage turbos goin bad..

at any rate, if it was just overheated, i'm bettin its got blown head gaskets and/or cracked heads..

CCR would be the best place to get an engine.. for $300 i don't think ya can go wrong unless its an automatic and beat up.. i have 290k original on my turbo wagon, and she acctually runs like new, just partin her out due to rust..

if you take care of your roo it'll last a lifetime

:D

Originally posted by Meeky Moose

ccr can get, build, customize, just about any soob motor ya want :D

shortblocks, longblocks, etc..

The exception is the 2.7 six (hardly anybody has parts for those), but otherwise CCR does a great job!!

There are other options though, including building your own from a good core. A used or "import from Japan" might be worth a look too.

I don't think 3 bills for a solid turbo car is out of line, but I live in Ohio and I'm a sucker when it comes to Subes in need of TLC. I wouldn't stress over the price too much if it's the model you want.

John

Ummmm, we also do the ER27. What? Did I miss answering another email from somebody???? :banghead:

And yes, we do shortblocks too.

Truly, if I miss answering somebody, either shoot me another email, or call me, or leave a number where I can call you...we are soooo busy there are times I dread looking at our email. :o

I swear, some days, I just wanna retire!

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com