Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stuck in 4wd.

dedpossum

Ok before anyone say's do a search. I know why it's stuck. The selenoid is broken, A new one is on order no worries. But what I'm wondering is if there is a sleezy cheezy way to get it into 2wd until my part shows up?

Pictures would be great :0)

Thanks.

Ded

Is the solenoid broken or the actuator? In other words, little black thing with wires and pipes going into it, or big round metal thing with two pipes?

I'm not sure which way round the 4WD lever on the box goes for engauged or disengauged but.. What you can do is attach the vacuum pipe from the manifold (normally goes to the solenoid) to the right side of the actuator and this will pull it off all the time.

If you don't follow what I mean.. :-\ I'll have to explain it with pictures.

I'm assuming this is a push-button Part-time 4WD 5-speed loyale or DL. That's a crucial part of this ;)

just bypass it. there's a vacuum line that goes from the engine to one side of the solenoids, and there's 2 lines that go from the solenoids to the diaphragm on the tranny. these lines are the same size. simply plug it into one line for 4WD, and the other for FWD.

that's how I've been running my center diff lock for my RX trans for about 8 months now. Haven't had time to wire up the circuits to make the solenoids work how they should.....this works great.

hooked up correctly:

PICT2412.jpg

bypassed:

PICT2411.jpg

simple as that. might need some trail and error to figure out which is which.

although, if it's stuck in 4WD. start the engine, and with the line from the engine still hooked up, then take one of the 2 lines off of the solenoids. the 4WD one will have vacuum. bypass it to the other one.

It's the selenoid. In the second picture that was posted the selenoid that takes you out of 4wd is broken, so that you can't even put a line on it. I've looked in every junk yard around here can't find one, so I had to order it. Gonna take awhile to get it so i'm just wondering if there is a way to jury rig it in the meantime.

ded.

It's the selenoid. In the second picture that was posted the selenoid that takes you out of 4wd is broken, so that you can't even put a line on it. I've looked in every junk yard around here can't find one, so I had to order it. Gonna take awhile to get it so i'm just wondering if there is a way to jury rig it in the meantime.

ded.

don't need to plug anything into the solenoid. just bypass it.

You know the big actuator? The thing that has the cable attached to it that pulls the lever on the trans? Pull your vacuum hose from the solenoid (one that goes from the solenoid to the manifold) and put it on the 'back' side of the actuator I think, or is it the front? Anyway, just put it on the side that disengauges 4WD.