Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help to complete sound system guide

Hi all,

I have created the following PDF which details the installation procedures for the radio and speakers in third generation Legacy/Outback (00-04).

2000-2004 Legacy/Outback Audio System Installation Guide

I need some photos and steps for the following items:

- removal of the 4EAT center console cover

- removal of the control cable (if there is one) and electrical connectors of the climate controlled HVAC system (Outback H6)

Also if you could review and post any comments concerning the guide.

Thanks

The yellow dots for screw location is a great idea.

Your posts have been excellant. Thanks for your clear & concise explanations

Comments:

1. Index?

2. I only got to 10 of 12 and my dial up connection pooped out. Come on Cable. Anyway I have only ventured into the Speaker department. On my 2003 OBW the door release cove needs to be removed and there is a 3rd screw right about where your elbow sits on the arm rest. That may have been on page 11 &12.

3. Masking tape on the prying screw driver

I think I have the 4EAT. But I really don't want to change my radio head or go digging in there. Can I help with pictures of assembled stuff?

John

Originally posted by Pillowsplat

The yellow dots for screw location is a great idea.

Your posts have been excellant. Thanks for your clear & concise explanations

Comments:

1. Index?

2. I only got to 10 of 12 and my dial up connection pooped out. Come on Cable. Anyway I have only ventured into the Speaker department. On my 2003 OBW the door release cove needs to be removed and there is a 3rd screw right about where your elbow sits on the arm rest. That may have been on page 11 &12.

3. Masking tape on the prying screw driver

I think I have the 4EAT. But I really don't want to change my radio head or go digging in there. Can I help with pictures of assembled stuff?

John

1. I will add an Index.

2. As for file size, I will try to reduce the size of the photos and see if that helps. Acrobat sometimes enlarges jpegs.

3. masking tape is a good idea, I will add that

I found a web page that describes the process of removing the 4EAT transmission console cover on 95-99 models, I think 3rd gen is similar. I think the console just pops off like the manual transmission model, leaving the "P R N D 3 2 1" plate in place.

I do need help with the automatic climate control cars, in particular do they have the control cable from the dash control to the side of the heater core in the passenger side footwell? And do they have any difference in the wiring harnesses (three instead of two for instance)?

There are only two screws to come off on the door panel, the one in the arm rest (page 11) and the on hidden by the door switch assembly. The screw in the door handle holds the handle to the door, but if you take the door handle trim ring off, it will allow the door panel to come off with this screw in place. The only reason to take the door handle screw out would be if you did NOT have a removable trim ring (only if Subaru changed to a one peice design??). I have worked on both 2001 and 2003 Outbacks, and in both cases this screw stayed in place, and the trim ring came off.

• 2 months later...

hey this is my first post so be nice.

i know i'm digging up an old thread but this PDF is a god send, THANKYOU to u USA legacy owners.

im from australia and drive a 1999 Liberty MY00 gen3 (our name for Legacy), im assuming this is the same car for this guide u put up and i've been wantting to change speakers for awhile now, but wasnt sure how, so thankyou very much.

now to go speaker shopping lol