Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pics of ea82 to ej22 swap, please

palidocaballo

i was looking to see some procedure pics. your pics helps alot.

This is my first soob mill swap.

Which year 22 is ideal for this.

which did u use and was there a reason u didnt use the turbo?

Pre 96 will be OBD I and generally a better choice. They are also non interference, so if the T-blet brakes, you're ok.

As far as why not the turbo is because they are hard to find. Even if you find a long block, they are generally scooped up by people for a huge amount of money as they are a great block to do high power builds.

I personally went EJ25 SOHC. People ask my why I went there and not EJ20T, but I got my motor at a great price. You should be able to find a EJ25 as well.

Pre 96 will be OBD I and generally a better choice. They are also non interference, so if the T-blet brakes, you're ok.

As far as why not the turbo is because they are hard to find. Even if you find a long block, they are generally scooped up by people for a huge amount of money as they are a great block to do high power builds.

I personally went EJ25 SOHC. People ask my why I went there and not EJ20T, but I got my motor at a great price. You should be able to find a EJ25 as well.

Thanks, i appreciate the advise our junkyard is FULL of soobs and i had no idea which to pick. aftermarket turbos are everywhere so no biggie.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73676

that write-up will answer many of your questions.

That's a '92 loyale with a '92 legacy EJ22e.

I hate turbos, like fiery passion hate them. the EJ22 gives me pretty much all the oomph I could ever hope for with the torque of the EJ in the lightweight EA body.

besides, unless you're shooting for AT LEAST 300awhp, a fully closed deck EJ22t is just not worth the extra money. a piggyback ECU and a turbo kit (the guys getting the closed deck motors are throwing away the stock stuff anyway...) will get you close to 200hp, very reliably and very cheaply.

I would highly recommend not using a junkyard donor. no way to know it's history, or if it runs. and you've got a ton of stuff to pull. If it's at all possible, get a parts car ('90-'94 legacy makes for the simplest swap). if you keep your eyes open a bit, you can find one for a similar price to a full engine, harness, and ECU from a junkyard would cost. and you'll probably be able to make some money on the parts you won't be using.

here is a GL wagon with an EJ20G in it

FMIC%20014_tn.jpg

and here is one with a EJ22 in it

tn_EJ221.jpg

both are about the same amount of work to do. but the 22's are much easier to find and cheeper...

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

Oh my god, its beutiful! I think this is how women feel when they get a diamond!

i love flat motors i'm an old old vdub guy. i cant wait i had the feeling a donor car would be best but i'm using my roomies garage.

Thanks guys, Just the inspiration i needed

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73676

that write-up will answer many of your questions.

That's a '92 loyale with a '92 legacy EJ22e.

I hate turbos, like fiery passion hate them. the EJ22 gives me pretty much all the oomph I could ever hope for with the torque of the EJ in the lightweight EA body.

besides, unless you're shooting for AT LEAST 300awhp, a fully closed deck EJ22t is just not worth the extra money. a piggyback ECU and a turbo kit (the guys getting the closed deck motors are throwing away the stock stuff anyway...) will get you close to 200hp, very reliably and very cheaply.

I would highly recommend not using a junkyard donor. no way to know it's history, or if it runs. and you've got a ton of stuff to pull. If it's at all possible, get a parts car ('90-'94 legacy makes for the simplest swap). if you keep your eyes open a bit, you can find one for a similar price to a full engine, harness, and ECU from a junkyard would cost. and you'll probably be able to make some money on the parts you won't be using.

What is "closed deck"?

What is "closed deck"?

Not great pictures of it but...

Open deck looks like

engine1.gif

See the top of the block around the piston sleeving? See how it's "open"?

Closed deck

Honda%20closed%20deck.jpg

See how it's all "closed" in?

Closed it stronger because it doesn't let the sleeve and piston move around as much. Under high power open can not be friendly

yep, and as a result, the EJ22t motors have become really expensive. the newer gen guys all want them for their huge build-ups. But they've become really overrated, people are thinking that a closed deck motor will make any build faster. the open deck EJ22e N/A motor is still EXTREMELY strong, and a tiny fraction of the cost. even if you do a small turbo build.