Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Its back!

WJM

So today was the 1st autox for my RX since late 2005.

I won SM (Street Mod...highly modified/prepped cars of all kinds...civics, A4's, STi/WRX, M3's...etc etc.).

Things learned:

1. We need center diffs BEFORE front diffs.

2. We need front diffs!

3. No more 17's for me...the setup to run 17's on the street make the car way too loose on the autox course...so its time for 15x6's for the street.

4. Locking the center diff with the current setup=STi like power on oversteer AND WRC drift action....even on 225/50/15 Kumho V710 race tires at full temp.

5. Need EJ power steering pump.

6. Need forged pistons.

7. IC pipes blow off...but only once when fixed in a hurry in the grid.

Moday I'll be calling JE about the pistons, as the current rings are starting to fade...filled the catch can with oil. I'll also be getting out the WRX PS pump and start fabrication on that.

3. No more 17's for me...the setup to run 17's on the street make the car way too loose on the autox course...so its time for 15x6's for the street.

I'll also be getting out the WRX PS pump and start fabrication on that.

first off congrats....

second what are you changing to run 17's on the street. that makes it so you cant run 15's on the same setup?

and what is the EJ PS pump going to do for you? if you car handles anything like mine you need a EJ rack with a better ratio...

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

Well done. What are the specs of what you are running now?

An old rump roast run down EA82T

TD04L-13G turbo

EVO 550cc injectors

eBay special 'WRX/STi' big TMIC

2004~2005 STi hood scoop

a bunch of piping to make it work...with a T-XS knock off RFL BOV

MegaSquirt-2 EMS

SMC Water injection kit

D2 front coilovers w/450lb springs

Tein for Legacy (2000+) rears with 500 lb springs

Super Pro bushings in the back and the front leading rod

Leading rod has 10MM offset bushing for added caster

Corner balanced to 50.1% cross weight (total weight is 2582 currently)

T-XS standard MBC (set to 14psi)

US 2.5 RS front brakes with Carbotech XP10 front pads (full race pads indended for road course)

5 lug conversion, 2005 Legacy bolt in hubs in the front with RS brakes, all XT6 stuff in the back

20MM swaybars front and rear (XT6)

Sparco tube frame race seat and (I forget brand name) 5 point harness

DEFI gauges (EGT, Oil temp, oil pres, water temp)

AEM UEGO gauge (communicates with MS for AFR)

MSD Knock alert system

"JDM STi" 350MM steering wheel ($25 on eBay) w/MOMO adapter for Impreza

I think thats all the important stuff...

I was running Rota Tarmac 1's in 17x8 with 225/45/17 RE070's for the street...but...explanation below.

first off congrats....

second what are you changing to run 17's on the street. that makes it so you cant run 15's on the same setup?

and what is the EJ PS pump going to do for you? if you car handles anything like mine you need a EJ rack with a better ratio...

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

I have had to raise the front of the car about 4 inches from where it WAS at in order to make the 17x8's not rub in the front, and 4.5 inches in the back to do the same, as well as rolling the back lip up 90*. With it set like that, I ge nearly zero rub, and I have 1/4" wheel gap in the front and about 2/3" in the back.

However, when I put the race tires on (15x7, 45MM offset, 225/50/15) I have about 1.25" gap in the back and 1" in the front...so I can definatly lower it more for race...

The problem is also two fold.

With it so high in the back the geometry puts the alignment at +0.5 camber, and -.2 toe out. That makes the car SUPER loose on transitions and turn in. While its really good for rotation, I lost about 2 seconds overall just going slower to make the car go around the course and not spin...thats why I locked the diff and drove it like a rally car on the last 2 runs. Had the car been more stable, I would have picked up time regardless....as its just plain loose.

So, I'll go with 205/50/15 tires on 15x6 Legacy turbo alloys and lower it back down. I'll set it up for the race tires...and then with the street tires on it I'll be set.

I dont want the better ratio of the EJ rack....YET. I like my tight turning radious. The EA82 pump I have on now starts cavitating really bad and does not put up to the heat under the stress of autox. I know that the WRX pump does. So I'm going to retro all that on it, uncluding the remote reserve and add in a cooler. That way I dont have to worry about.

In the future I *WILL* be finding an 04 STi rack.

I want the fast 04+ sti ratio...BUT...the 05+ WRX and STi racks attach different on the drivers side with 4 bolt locations.

Since I have an 05 STi rack...I can play with it and see if I can make the rack work in an 04- subframe.

WJM