Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

4wd rear bearing lock ring socket?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trentet

trentet

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • tehachapi, ca

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:05 AM

Can anyone tell me where to find a rear bearing lock ring socket, I would rather not use a drift pin and have to muck up the lock ring. I took one sub assy to a Subaru dealership to repair and they used a drift pin cause they didn't have the special tool from Subaru either, do I need to fabricate one myself or what?
Trent

#2 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,263 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:32 AM

I've heard from some that the socket for doing the front end of a chevy 4wd will work, the one with the "teeth" layed out on it. I've never actually tried it myself though.
I've never seen an actual factory/dealer tool, even the local dealership has never seen one, makes wonder if there was actually a tool made for it.

#3 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:35 AM

you're probably going to need to fab one up. the subie shop i worked at had the special socket, all it is, is a thin wall 32mm???. You would be best off buying an elcheap 6 point socket and turning it on a lathe or grinding it until it fits through the hole.

#4 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:41 AM

oops i'm was thinking of the special socket needed to get the nut off of the drive gear for the transfer case; in my earlier post. The special tool dose exists because I've used one before.

You might be able to fab one out of a thick wall socket that's roughly the same diameter as the lock nut.

#5 trentet

trentet

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • tehachapi, ca

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:44 AM

I own a complete set of shop manuals from subaru for my loyale and saw the picture of the tool, but unless the dealership was around in 85 when it came out they probably weren't issued the durn thing. I even have a tool part number but I seriously doubt I could get one new from subaru for less than the worth of my actual vehicle itself. I think I will fab one up from a piece of steel tube, steel plate and an old castlated nut.
Trent

#6 StormTrooper

StormTrooper

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Humboldt County, CA

Posted 26 November 2003 - 05:50 PM

I have a fabbed tool that was used for this job. Its a socket with tabs welded on it, and a T-bar. let me know if you need it.

#7 trentet

trentet

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • tehachapi, ca

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:48 PM

That's exactly what I was looking for chef_tim. Thank you very very much, and thank you for the kind offer StormTrooper but I think I would like to have my own as I have three subis to care for. WHOOHOOO COOOL BEANIES!!!:banana:

#8 XSNRG

XSNRG

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,657 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 26 November 2003 - 10:59 PM

Nice tool:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users