Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Troy's wagon mis-adventure- wheel falls off!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 26 November 2003 - 04:46 AM

Troy just picked up a 84 GL wagon, to end his troubles of the 80 + 83 wagon...

we got to my house from fall city just fine, then we had to do a quick radiator install, and a tune-n-wash..

then when he went to go home, he got about 10 blocks from my house, and i got a phone call- "Austin, can you come get me?? i need a jack, a spare tire (unless i find mine) and some lug nuts"

his front drivers wheel fell off after going around a corner in the neighborhood!!!

but we got it fixed, unfortunately, the brakes are more than used up, the rotors are half way eaten up!!! (its way past metal to metal! it ate thru the vents in the center of the rotors!!!!)

here is what happend-
http://usmb.net/albu...36/DSCN1354.jpg
and to make my day "better" this is all at about 1am, and I have work at 8am!

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 26 November 2003 - 04:52 AM

That's really cool. :lol:

Had that same thing happen to a luitenant a while back. Someone forgot to bend the tab down on the castle washer for the gear reduction hub's stub axle. Whole axle fell out (with wheel attached) going down the freeway. That was not a happy day.

GD

#3 PHATBRAT

PHATBRAT

Subaru Lover

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • Mt Holly, NJ

Posted 26 November 2003 - 12:12 PM

Sucks doesn't it. I had my wheel fall off when I was on my way to TX. I was doing about 80-85. When my wheel fell off it threw me off the road into a cornfield. I was lucky there were no cars or trucks next to me. (And I wasn't on a bridge or next to a huge drop off) I got buried in the field though. Good thing I was carrying my floor jack and that I had some spare lugs behind the seat. Threw my alignment waaaay off, messed up my fender, melted the bottom of my balljoint (Don't have to worry about that one popping out). Overall, a very fun experience, and what makes it funny is when you are doing 80-85 and when your wheel falls off you see it flying by you as you are being thrown from the highway. Would I do it again, sure, if I had the spare time/money and no one gets hurt. :grin: Boz

#4 1ABAJA

1ABAJA

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • Soobville, IN

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:18 PM

That shiz is funny....I was riding with Ro-Neece and his tire did fall off and did pass us...we had to pull up to it!

Ro-Neece forgot to tighten down his lugnuts:rolleyes:

You see.....he Ro-Neeced it!

Josh!

#5 ru4x4ever

ru4x4ever

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:26 PM

That is one of those thing like damn:banghead:

#6 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:32 PM

i had a simmilar situation involving a ford. we had a new rotor put in the ranger and i guess it was a hair slimmer than stock. the mechanic we took it to torqued the lugnuts to specs, but instead of the lugnut being fully seated, it was all the way against the top of the lug. closed lugnuts. so when everything was torqued to spec, it was only holding like halfway. well my mom was on a luckily low speed turn and the wheel fell off. the lugnuts pulled through. i went and talked to the mechanic who said it wasn't his fault! i beat his rump roast and then he fixed it. assault charges though. i got away with it because he started it and i only hit him 3 times. the reason that i was so pissed was the fact that she was on her way to go up the mountain to go skiing. careful w/those lugs fellas.

#7 subeepl

subeepl

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Poland

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:39 PM

Rear wheel falling off our Fiat 126 (650cc) converted to a go cart,
my son Konrad (17) forgot to tighten the lugs:brow: after bleedimg the breaks. Well the car sure stoped:-\

#8 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,290 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 26 November 2003 - 03:17 PM

30" tires + 2 lug nuts + Brat = same situation. I was testing out my new tires before I could get the rims drilled out, and I snapped off the two lug nuts holding on the wheel, luckily it was a fairly low speed operation (bout 25-30mph), but it was definatly interesting. The people having a barbque in the back yard that the tire flew into were a little shocked also.

#9 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 4,045 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 26 November 2003 - 03:56 PM

you all know my story..................

#10 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 26 November 2003 - 07:36 PM

hmm so the 2 lugs can break off. I've been putting around with 2 lugs on, no ill effects. No jumping or rocky stuff either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users