Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust resonator: is this needed?

jdub

Do I need the middle muffler (resonator) in my exhaust line? We determined that it has a hole in the topside and I am tempted to just remove it, put in a pipe, and retain the catalytic converter (at the front) and the standard rearmost muffler.

This is a carb'd model. I am unsure if the resonator (in good shape) is designed to do anything in terms of maintaining pulse or otherwise?

I need to do this on the cheap so if any of you have hacksawed and clamped your own exhaust system I am all ears!

Many thanks,

John

PS: Guy quoted me $60.00 to pull the resonator and put in a pipe. Why shouldn't I take this money and open up the exhaust from the tri-bolt triangle just aft of the cat. on out?

I cannot answer what purpose it serves realy.I do know that sub1 did not have one and was no where near as quiet as suby2 which does.

I would not pay sixty bucks my self.I would cut the resonator out and measurethe gap between.Then i would go down to the exhaust shop and ask for that length plus however deep they can flair on both ends.Lets say yoy have 18" between your cuts.The exhaust shop tells you they can flair 1 1/2" deep.So you would ask for a pipe22"long, flared at both ends.A couple of clamps and off you go.

hope this helps and if I am wrong somebody please catch this

mine went south years ago , but the local muffler shop only charged $15.00 to do the bypass surgery. You weren't at a national brand name shop were you?

You may hear a bit more exhaust 'rap' and the occassional mini backfire with the resonator gone, but it's not loud or obtrusive.