Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wiper and heater control issues

Since I've gotten the coupe running real smooth, I'm going to start doing some of the other repairs I've noticed since I've gotten it running. First off, the wipers. Both front and rear wipers don't seem to wanna park themselves, thus, me having to do some manual wiper parkage. Why is it doing this?

Second, the heater controls. More like the fan speed which I think I know whats wrong but I wanna double check to make sure I'm right and what is going to fix it. Blower motor only works on the third speed and all others its dead. This is fixed by replacing the blower motor resistor right?

Pull the resistor block out and check it. If its a 3 speed then yes, there will be two resistors. If its a 4 speed, your just weird :grin: (or its the switch).

After you make sure the wipers are in thier proper places...

" The wiper motor gets power from two sources. One is from the switch on the stalk. The other is from the battery via the ignition switch, but in series with this path is a switch internal to the wiper mechanism which opens up once per cycle. If the second circuit is functioning, when you release the stalk switch, the second circuit still carries current to the wiper motor until it reaches the wiper position where the internal switch opens. At this point, if the stalk switch is disengaged, the wipers park. If the second circuit isn't working, either because of a faulty wiper park switch (inside the wiper mechanism) or because the external wiring isn't delivering current to this switch, then the wipers park immediately when you shut off the stalk switch, as you describe. First thing I'd check is the wiring. "

Sorry for the quote, but pain pills are my freind today and that was easier :-p

nipper

Pull the resistor block out and check it. If its a 3 speed then yes, there will be two resistors. If its a 4 speed, your just weird :grin: (or its the switch).

After you make sure the wipers are in thier proper places...

" The wiper motor gets power from two sources. One is from the switch on the stalk. The other is from the battery via the ignition switch, but in series with this path is a switch internal to the wiper mechanism which opens up once per cycle. If the second circuit is functioning, when you release the stalk switch, the second circuit still carries current to the wiper motor until it reaches the wiper position where the internal switch opens. At this point, if the stalk switch is disengaged, the wipers park. If the second circuit isn't working, either because of a faulty wiper park switch (inside the wiper mechanism) or because the external wiring isn't delivering current to this switch, then the wipers park immediately when you shut off the stalk switch, as you describe. First thing I'd check is the wiring. "

Sorry for the quote, but pain pills are my freind today and that was easier :-p

nipper

not the switch cause I swapped it out with a spare I had. Its a 4 speed blower motor since it has the "OFF" button, plus one, two, three and four on the switch itself.

I'll bust out my awesome FSM and check out the schematics on the wipers to see if I can diag the problem. I was hoping it might be a simple problem and I no longer have my spare steering column either... If its not fixable in the next few days, I'll live with it until I move *sigh*

not the switch cause I swapped it out with a spare I had. Its a 4 speed blower motor since it has the "OFF" button, plus one, two, three and four on the switch itself.

I'll bust out my awesome FSM and check out the schematics on the wipers to see if I can diag the problem. I was hoping it might be a simple problem and I no longer have my spare steering column either... If its not fixable in the next few days, I'll live with it until I move *sigh*

It can be the wiperswitch in the motor itself. They are easy enough to take apart and work on, the hard part is getting them out to work on them.

The heater, the 4th speed is direct to the blower motor, the third is a resistor (so is the firts two).

nipper

i THINK i am right in both of these points....

For one thing, I have heard that adding a ground wire between the wiper motor body and the chassis can help sometimes with parking issues? Havent tried it, havent had to..

but regarding the resistor pack, my understanding is that there is a resistor pack with two resistors on it...

No resistors in circuit, 4 (hi speed)

small resistor in circuit, 3

large resistor in circuit 2

both resistors in circuit 1

so, two resistors, four speeds...

again, this is me reading and repeating, not speaking from experience. but the ground wire for the wiper motor is simpler than disassembling it.. just test the idea with a short piece of wire stripped at both ends; if it fixes it make it permanent.

hope this helps..

i THINK i am right in both of these points....

For one thing, I have heard that adding a ground wire between the wiper motor body and the chassis can help sometimes with parking issues? Havent tried it, havent had to..

but regarding the resistor pack, my understanding is that there is a resistor pack with two resistors on it...

No resistors in circuit, 4 (hi speed)

small resistor in circuit, 3

large resistor in circuit 2

both resistors in circuit 1

so, two resistors, four speeds...

again, this is me reading and repeating, not speaking from experience. but the ground wire for the wiper motor is simpler than disassembling it.. just test the idea with a short piece of wire stripped at both ends; if it fixes it make it permanent.

hope this helps..

If the blower motor speeds are correct to what you're saying, then why wouldn't I have circuit 4 as well as 3? I have only 3 which is weird. I'll also give the ground wire trick a go as well for the wipers.

If the blower motor speeds are correct to what you're saying, then why wouldn't I have circuit 4 as well as 3? I have only 3 which is weird. I'll also give the ground wire trick a go as well for the wipers.

That was sort of my point.. number four should ALWAYS be working, if the resistor pack is your problem... Well, you should be able to trace the electricity down once you get there.. I presume you get the same symptom with either switch? I would start suspecting wires then, and go down to the resistor block and see if you are getting 12VDC at the input side of the resistor, given the state of the switch... I may be wrong regarding only two resistors, there may be an individual resistor for each of the lower three speeds.. but hi speed is un resisted, as it were..

I was about two inches away from making up a grounding strap for my own sipwer motor earlier this afternoon.. i get an issue with my variable intermittents, if they are set at anything faster than very very slow, they kinda go spastic.. part way up, stop, little more, stop, then all the way up and back to park.... the little intermittents that could :grin:

I took a nap instead of installing the wire, :-\