Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lowering Rear End > Torsion Bar

I'm not sure on EA81s but I know on the gen 1's when you reclock the rear torsion bars is actually pretty easy. I had to jack the car up, pull the rear wheels off, and on either side at the outside ends of the torsion bar tubes, was a 12mm bolt, loosen that up, then I took an air hammer and pounded the torsion bars out from the inside. Then spin it to where I wanted it, pounded them back in, stuff the bolt back in, slide the wheels on and done. Don't see why an EA81 would really be any different though.

Hmmmmm, I'll have to take a look at that today after my chemistry lab. Did you re-clock the torsion bar or the semi-trailing arms? Did you notice a difference in spring rate or ride quality? Also, how much did it lower the car overall?

When you do this, take pictures. I wanna fix my wagon's rump roast end being stuck up in the air.

don't ea81s have a special hieght adjustment bolt on a lever in the middle of the crossmember containing the torstion bars? As far as I know u just go under the car and crank this bolt and it adjusts ride height..

Actually, this bolt is accessed through a hole in the floor pan, under rear seat. No need to get under car. OP may want to lower more than can be achieved with this bolt.

don't ea81s have a special hieght adjustment bolt on a lever in the middle of the crossmember containing the torstion bars? As far as I know u just go under the car and crank this bolt and it adjusts ride height..

If the car is too low after clocking the semi-trailing arms then I will use this to adjust it back up. I will fully document the swap, but without internet access on my computer, I don't think I'll be posting pics soon. Hell I just finished a few major projects and I am not able to make a post about any of them!!!

Well when I did it, I didn't have any ride quality whatsoever... since I set the rump roast end on the bumpstops:rolleyes:

IIRC, I reclocked the trailing arms but in theory, if you reclock them a couple teeth, then the spring effect will be stock, just sitting lower then stock ride height

Have you looked at bratmans thread?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73119&highlight=torsion

Might help you.

Hes not the only one with the rump roast end in the air problem, I have it on my brat as well:
That's a problem? I quite like it up a little bit. When I put my EJ in though I had to adjust it down an inch because it was just ridiculus. The brat in that pictures looks awesome I reckon... :headbang:

I like it so the tray sides are level, I think it looks best then.