Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 rx turbo

jcsvx

help! my sons 85 rx turbo had a small engine comartment fire we have replaced the entire underhood wiring harnnes and distributor we have fire but the injectors will not pulse. noid light stays on constant. what tell the injector to pulse is there a crank sensor or angle sensor in dist ???

I believe there are a number of inputs needed before the ECU tells the injectors to pulse. Just guessing but if wires shorted, you may have a fried ECU. I know that the car will turn over and have good spark with a fried ECU. I don't know how to diagnose it, I've just swapped units before. Not sure but I think a ECU from any '85/'86 turbo car will work, doesn't have to be a RX. I'm assuming you already checked the fuse box.

On the Passenger side Strut Tower on the front side of the tower there is a funny looking square-ish looking metal box with 5 red wires plugged into it.....One is larger than the other 4. It will be the power wire in, the other 4 are resisted power out to the injectors....

Check to see if you are getting power into and then back out of all 5 of those wires......

If so, With a simple wire probe/tester check to see if you get power to each injector one at a time.....You will have 2 wires at each injector, one is Hot one is Ground......if you crank the motor over, you should get a pulse for each time that injector is supposed to fire......

If you have power at the unit on the wall, but nothing at the injector, My money is on a fried ECU, or fuse being dead....?

Hope this Helps, John in Oregon......