Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front end rebuild questions

I am getting ready to rebuild the front end for my 78 Brat. So far the parts I have got for it are: ball joints, outer tie rod ends, brake rotors new front strut cartridges and, new cv axles. I am buying everything new because everything is old and wore out. It was all wore out when I got it 3 years ago. I am finally doing some real work to get it driving up to par. I know I have to still get new brake calipers and wheel bearings still. Question: Does this Brat have inner and outer wheel bearings? Does it have wheel seals that need to be replaced? I have never torn this Brat apart to know all what it needs. Where is a good place to get wheel bearings and seals for this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Richard

You probably would really appreciate getting new stabilizer bushings and transverse link bushings too.Also,leading rod bushings.These are getting extremely hard to find,so hopefully people begin to take my post about making parts seriously if they want to restore these old cars to a high standard.We should already be talking about this but nobody seems to care much just yet.

Factory Manuals are easy to find.Not to break stones,but if you have one you'd answer a lot of your own questions.I'm only trying to help so don't take that the wrong way,please.

EA71_front_linkage.jpg

Parts I mention above are #'s 31(6210 11332,6210 11333)stabilizer, 42(6211 08170)transverse link bushing, and 49 two per side(6210 11311)

#'s in parentheses are old SOA p/n's.Your dealer will probably laugh,or cry when you ask them.But try anyways,and maybe someone can help.

Wheel bearing IS the same inner and outer like Russell says.p/n 90601 0015.

Make us proud!!! Good luck with it.

on the ones i've seen the steering rack and sway bushings seem to get worse than those leading and trailing arm bushings. they're the only ones i've seen completely missing from a vehicle.

before getting new calipers, look for a rebuild kit. i've found kits for $8 before and they're super easy to do. there's not much to a caliper rebuild, just the piston seal the dust boot and a clip to hold the dust boot. 3 very easy to replace parts. everything else is just a basic clean up job, very easy. well 4 parts if you include the new dust cover for the bleeder screw!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Yes I know this is old but I need the part number for the grease seals that go over the wheel bearings. I think I have the numbers for everything else I need. And yes this is for another 78 Brat. Not the original one in this post.

100_3052.jpg?t=1282968708

This was from like 6 months ago. It now has a engine in it and it has enkeis on it. The interior is torn apart. The dash is sitting in the passengers seat. I need a new dash. Something that does not have holes cut in it would be nice. But it runs. Runs pretty good actually. Just rebuilt the carb on Monday. Needed to help that fresh rebuilt EA-71 to go down the road better.